Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Guided By Voices
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had any experience with Modafinil ,positive,negative etc?No luck getting Adderal what class of drugs is Modafinil in.I'm sure it's like a 22. compared to a magnum as far as analagies.But if it can help with motivation that would be a big step forward,.Anyone used it?

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
With a duration of 5-10 hours, that's $1-2 per hour of effects. About $3000 per year, if I'm not mistaken...

At that price, you could probably hire someone to do the stuff you're taking a pill to do (work, etc.).

·
Guided By Voices
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A months worth of free samples,why not try.So far ( 2 days) hasn't helped at all.There are always programs like Partnership For Perscription Assistance.There are ways around paying full price for a medications often getting them for next to nothing.You just gotta be proactive!!
Wellbutrin XL-free
Lamictal-free
Ambion XR-free

·
Registered
9 Posts
I haven't tried it, but my understanding is it has the wakefulness component of amphetamines but not so much the speedy feeling, which is really what is helpful for motivation. That said, I have been on Adderall for years and it definitely has not helped with my social anxiety. It can make me more talkative in some situations, but generally only those that I am already comfortable with, like with my family, closest friends, and for me, in some academic situations.

·
Registered
8 Posts
ive taken it, it doesnt help much with SA, it only seems to make you wired and awake. the confidence and increased sociability only seem to come from true amphetamines....

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Of course there is no euphoria like with real stimulants, but also no crash. Didn't help with SA, except reduces Klonopin tiredness.

·
Banned
217 Posts
I think Modafinal screwed up my skin and gave me mild rosacea. It is similar to amphetamines. Be cautious here.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
It has the abuse potential of coffee ;)

·
Registered
218 Posts
I liked it, its actually a nice augment or alone stimulant because its not as harsh as amphetamine but way more potent as caffeine without much of the jitters.

·
The Power Of Nature
6,010 Posts
Yeah its kinda a "super cafeine" from what ive read, i liked it myself too.

·
The Power Of Nature
6,010 Posts
It seems to be quite a bit dopaminergic.

Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2010 Apr 13. [Epub ahead of print]
Dopamine transporter-related effects of modafinil in rhesus monkeys.

Andersen ML, Kessler E, Murnane KS, McClung JC, Tufik S, Howell LL.

Yerkes National Primate Research Center, Emory University, 954 Gatewood Rd, Atlanta, GA, 30329, USA.
Abstract

RATIONALE: Modafinil is currently used as a treatment for daytime sleepiness. OBJECTIVES: The objectives of this study were to explore the dopamine transporter (DAT)-related effects of modafinil on behavior and in vivo neurochemistry in rhesus monkeys (Macaca mulatta). METHODS: The effects of modafinil (3.0-10 mg/kg, i.v.) were evaluated on locomotor activity, reinstatement of cocaine-maintained behavior, extracellular dopamine levels in the caudate nucleus, and DAT occupancy in the dorsal striatum. Eight subjects were fitted with a collar-mounted activity monitor to evaluate sleep-activity cycles, with 4 days of baseline recording preceding an injection of saline or modafinil (3.0-10 mg/kg). The effects of modafinil (3.0-10 mg/kg) and cocaine (0.3 mg/kg) on reinstatement of behavior that was previously maintained under a second-order schedule of i.v. cocaine delivery were tested in a separate group of subjects (n = 6). Finally, the effects of modafinil (3.0-10 mg/kg) on extracellular dopamine levels and DAT occupancy in vivo were characterized using microdialysis and positron emission tomography, respectively, in a within-subjects design (n = 4). RESULTS: Modafinil significantly increased nighttime locomotor activity and reinstated cocaine-maintained behavior but did not affect daytime locomotor activity. Modafinil significantly increased striatal extracellular dopamine levels at a dose that resulted in DAT occupancy of 64.4% (putamen) and 60.2% (caudate). CONCLUSION: The behavioral and in vivo dopaminergic effects of modafinil are consistent with the profile of a low potency DAT inhibitor and may indicate potential for abuse at high doses.
Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2010 Mar 25. [Epub ahead of print]
Psychostimulant-like discriminative stimulus and locomotor sensitization properties of the wake-promoting agent modafinil in rodents.

Paterson NE, Fedolak A, Olivier B, Hanania T, Ghavami A, Caldarone B.

PsychoGenics, Inc. 765 Old Saw Mill River Rd., Tarrytown, NY 10591, United States.
Abstract

The present studies assessed the potential abuse liability and likely mechanism(s) of action of the wake-promoting agent modafinil. METHODS: Experiments assessed the locomotor sensitization (LS) and discriminative stimulus (DS) properties of modafinil in mouse and rat, respectively. Comparative data were generated with a range of psychostimulants and monoamine reuptake inhibitors. RESULTS: Repeated administration of d-amphetamine and cocaine, psychostimulants with high abuse liability, resulted in the induction and expression of LS in mice. Bupropion and caffeine, two psychostimulants not abused in humans, were not associated with LS. GBR12909 induced LS during repeated exposure, but there was no evidence of expression of LS after acute challenge following withdrawal. In contrast, repeated administration of modafinil resulted in the expression, but not induction, of LS. d-amphetamine, but not the mu-opioid agonist morphine or the nAChR agonist nicotine, fully substituted for the cocaine DS in rats. The selective dopamine transporter (DAT) inhibitor GBR12909 fully substituted, the preferential norepinephrine transporter (NET) inhibitor desipramine partially substituted, and the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor citalopram failed to substitute for cocaine. Modafinil fully substituted for cocaine, similar to the mixed DAT/NET inhibitor bupropion. CONCLUSIONS: Two preclinical assays indicated potential abuse liability of modafinil; drug discrimination studies suggest DAT blockade by modafinil is a likely mechanism of action in vivo. Copyright © 2010 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

PMID: 20346966 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
This could imply that modafinil itself has potential for social anxiety disorder as it seems to occupy DAT quite a bit, alot more powerfull then wellbutrin. Those are some intresting findings.

·
Registered
1 Posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modafanil

Provigil is a mild stimulant that costs $10+ per pill. I've tired it and it's OK if you want something as potent as caffeine and have a big pile of money to burn.
Sorry this is wrong... I had to import this to UK and only paid £50 for 100 x200mg. However cost in US is $50. you can do the math but ??

I'm a 53 year old male so was really apprehensive about taking it. Still in the research phase. However certainly works for focus and concentration I took 100mg at 06:00 yeaterday and then another 100mg at 12:00 I studdied with focus till about 22:00 that night. Only side affects I have notioced are increase in pulse and a sort of background headache. I dont think I will be taking it every day and certainly not the full 200 it can affect sleep at night. I'm only interested in concentration during day. One last caution if you do take the 200mg in my experince drinking coffee really makes you take off - Ive never taken amphetamine before or any drugs but man I was really flying but not in an related way.

Hope this helps

Frank

·
baclofen enthusiast
2,748 Posts
Anyone had any experience with Modafinil ,positive,negative etc?No luck getting Adderal what class of drugs is Modafinil in.I'm sure it's like a 22. compared to a magnum as far as analagies.But if it can help with motivation that would be a big step forward,.Anyone used it?
Yes I've used it and my experience is negative. I paid it over 113 bucks and threw it out when there were still several pills left over. It was not so usefel for wakefulness and made me wired and jittery, and a little depressed too since I found it antagonizes GABA. When taken regurarly also caused me early awakening. Now I use peph to stay awake and it feels much much better.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts