Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is a socalled reversible MAOI antidepressant that usually can be taken without diet restrictions

its generally not available in the USA

it is sold in australia as aurorix, but most shrinks here say its useless and helps no more than placebo effect

the maker of it says it does work but they keep increasing the recommended dose range:mum

worth remembering in all anxiety problems the placebo effect can be very powerful, this is exploited by some places where very overpriced miricule cures for anxiety are sold, their benefit being only from the placebo effect helped along by their very high price and suggestions of secret ingredients

·
Banned
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SSRI or prozac type ADs sometimes do work and occasionally dont

after years of trying the earlier types of ADs with no help, finally a SSRI, citalopram helped me a lot and gabve me a new life

it seems molobemied never works

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I've been on moclobemide before. The doctor told me that the problem with it is usually that it's severely underdosed. Never the less I stopped it because like euphoria said, it can give you too much energy/activation, and that was at the low dose.
Still I think it may be a useful drug when properly dosed at 900 + mg or so, in a person who can tolerate/benefit from it's activating effects, considering that theoretically it should boost both serotonin and noradrenaline, not cause sexual side effects and not licit a special diet.

·
Registered
178 Posts
moclobemide was supposed to be a "kinder" antidepressant than an SSRI in terms of side effects, however, to get a real benefit you usually need to get to at least 600mg a day, and at that point the side effects aren't as mild as claimed. it does a little bit of MAO-B inhibition (moclobemide levels giving about 80% MAO-A inhibition lead to about 30% MAO-B inhibition)... it's often too stimulating for SA though, and it's a bit different than the irreversible MAOIs. also has less of an enhanced tyramine pressor effect (so less food interactions than the old MAOIs), although it's not completely devoid of this effect.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts