Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like ****. I keep making the dumbest mistakes at work and today, I made one that caused the guy to want to speak to a manager and then he asked for a refund which is bad because the success of the department I'm in is based on our sales. He came in, asked if his order had been fulfilled and I looked everywhere, or so I thought... Then I told him he'd have to come back the next day cause I couldn't find it and that would've been his fourth time coming in cause the previous two times, something had been wrong with the order so he was miffed about that and then asked to speak to a manager.

The thing is that when the assistant manager came in, she found the order almost immediately. It had been wrapped in brown paper and was sitting on top of another order which wasn't wrapped in paper, but it was next to another order that was semi-wrapped in paper. In this area, sometimes order are only-semi-wrapped in paper cause the customer identified something wrong with it when it the order was unwrapped for them so the store associate just leaves it in that semi-wrapped state and puts it in the back. So I guess ny brain registered the brown paper it was in as part of the paper of the semi-wrapped order that was next to it, but that wrapping paper even had a single piece of tape holding the two folded sides together, so as soon as my eyes glazed over that area at the other orders sitting there, my brain should've registered that and I should've opened up the wrapping paper and found the order and avoided all this, But I didn't and then my supervisor had to be called about the refund. So she knows that once again, I needed help finding something that was right under my nose, and this time it cost our department a sale.

·
Seriously , never serious
6,456 Posts
Oh well lesson learned look properly and don't ever assume .
I'd have beep pissed if I was the customer and after 4 times I'd want a refund and I'd never return .
Might be a good way to redeem your self if you devise a better system to prevent this happening again . Ant the managers love that sort of **** esp when they can take the credit .

·
Banned
8,760 Posts
I feel like ****. I keep making the dumbest mistakes at work and today, I made one that caused the guy to want to speak to a manager and then he asked for a refund which is bad because the success of the department I'm in is based on our sales.
You made a mistake. I know it's a bfd because of the sales in your dept, but it's OK, really, you're human...you're gonna make mistakes even at your job. I have, everyone has. I think what really matters is how you handle the aftermath. Don't beat yourself up over it, it's not worth it. There's a difference between understanding what happened and knowing what you did, versus beating yourself up.

Acknowledge, move on. The world didn't end, it may not feel like it but you'll be OK. :yes

·
Registered
154,234 Posts
This is one time when it is good to ask questions from other coworkers. You could have gotten a straight answer and not had this happen.

·
Registered
154 Posts
At least you have learned form this situation to look properly next time. I use to do the same thing when I couldn't find something, would tell the manager and he would come out and find it. Made me feel like an idiot. So now I always double check everywhere now and 90% of the time I am correct.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mistakes are what make us stronger, wiser, and smarter. I have experienced the same thing. My former manager told me that I needed to be more resourceful. Now, I will double check or ask a peer before I go to my manager. Those mistakes have made me a better manager.

·
Registered
672 Posts
The thing is that when the assistant manager came in, she found the order almost immediately. It had been wrapped in brown paper and was sitting on top of another order which wasn't wrapped in paper, but it was next to another order that was semi-wrapped in paper. In this area, sometimes order are only-semi-wrapped in paper cause the customer identified something wrong with it when it the order was unwrapped for them so the store associate just leaves it in that semi-wrapped state and puts it in the back.
Sounds like it's not entirely your fault. Maybe that area needs to be reorganized according to rules of visual management, so that the status of each order is more obvious.

In the manufacturing areas where I work, the location and appearance of each item tells its status and place in the assembly process. So it's virtually impossible for parts to be misidentified. Management got to that point by looking for "root causes" of problems, which, according to the continuous improvement processes they use, are not supposed to be identified as people.

Not sure if your management is open to such ideas, though. They might get all defensive or something.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts