Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today at work I become extremely depressed. I don't really know why. It came out of nowhere and I almost felt breathless, almost tired, like I couldn't physically move. It's been a casual week at my work and I figured I could get done tomorrow some of the stuff I had to do today. So I went home early.

Earlier this week I woke up and... couldn't wake up. Couldn't get out of bed because of the depression. I actually called in sick, just made up something.

This really worries me. As I climb the career ladder and take on more responsibilities, I really worry that I won't be capable of doing it. I'm also worried that being worried will become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Mostly today, I'm sad because I feel like a failure. I want to be able to depend on myself. :sigh

·
Registered
230 Posts
I know how you feel. I'm really depressed right now and don't want to go to work. I'm extreamly paranoid of being fired so that keeps me going. It's really hard to get anything done at work when you feel like this.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Look at your meds, made any changes? Any over the counter sleep aids, tylonol PM, anything like this?

Anything about the time of day? Any new stresses? Keep an eye on your sleep patterns...........

You will be able to depend on yourself, you wouldn't have gotten this far if you couldn't.

Season change? It effects me, I start wanting to sleep, depression isn't as easy to keep at bay.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Caedmon said:
Today at work I become extremely depressed. I don't really know why. It came out of nowhere and I almost felt breathless, almost tired, like I couldn't physically move. It's been a casual week at my work and I figured I could get done tomorrow some of the stuff I had to do today. So I went home early.

Earlier this week I woke up and... couldn't wake up. Couldn't get out of bed because of the depression. I actually called in sick, just made up something.

This really worries me. As I climb the career ladder and take on more responsibilities, I really worry that I won't be capable of doing it. I'm also worried that being worried will become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Mostly today, I'm sad because I feel like a failure. I want to be able to depend on myself. :sigh
:hug I have days like those, too, Caedmon. Try not to be too hard on yourself for them. I try to view those days as just a weak moment that I needed to regenerate myself a bit. A sort of "wellness day". I am lucky enough that my schedule allows me to do these with little/no explanation to anyone but, when asked, I just call them wellness days now. I am careful not to let anything lapse because of them, which it sounds like you are trying to do too, and then I just give myself permission to have them periodically. One shouldn't feel guilty for taking care of themselves and this is sometimes just what it takes - a quiet day to hide under the blankets with whatever we are going through so that the next day we are better. In this way I am able to still foster my own success without dwelling on feeling guilty for the time I miss.

Good luck Caedmon. I hope today is a better day for you

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
Caedmon,

I recently went through a long period of depression. It was because my work load suddenly dropped. I am currently between major releases of software so activity diminishes a lot. Further, the developers behind the program I test have been so focused on other projects that they have "completely ignored" me for nearly three months. I felt invisible, and hence, the depression rose. Lack of things to keep me busy lead to wandering thoughts and depression. It's a low point, but I fought through as best as I could. My fondness for the job itself was what kept me going. I even went as far as to bring a couple of books on positive thinking and even a headset radio/MP3 player to keep me entertained :lol.

You shouldn't feel bad about being depressed; it is just a time to make sure everything is in check.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Having the same problem here. Not only have I had problems with depression and SA before, but a week and a half ago my little sister died. My work has been nice about me taking time off, but I wonder how long they will be understanding. I did 5 hr days last week, but sometimes even that's hard.
I know I'm probably a boring person to work with (I don't talk much, and being sad makes me want to talk less), and I haven't even had my current position very long. I have 3 more weeks till I get health insurance, then I'm finding a therapist. Untill then I guess I just have to force myself to be "normal."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts