Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
High guise.

I'm a 29 year old, highly-sensitive, highly-avoidant, chronically depressed, unemployed, agnostic, liberal, only-child, left-handed, right-brained thinking, female pessimist (aka realist) (to sum it up). A lot of my ideas seem to contradict each other, but I do generally have a reasonable explanation. I tend to think I'm superior to everyone else, but am so afraid of being judged negatively I cringe in even leaving the house, type deal.

My *main* problem is that I cannot work outside the home. My social anxiety makes me physically ill to the point of losing weight (I'm already thin enough which I have bad complex about), making sleep either entirely unrestorative or impossible - and giving me constant full body malaise likened to the flu - daily vomiting, weakness, inability to eat, high blood pressure, twitching and crying from the stressful feelings. I've been hired at, and quit probably 15-20 jobs in my life. I never make it past the first day or two, it's too much.

I attended college for Medical Transcription (I do ok in school because nothing is expected of me as an individual) from 2006-2008 and now is the time to go out and apply my training and become employed at a hospital or doctors office. Impossible. And I really, really need the money - I've not been employed in the past 7 years, my credit went down the drain, multiple delinquent accounts, and now I have unpaid property taxes! It's not easy.

Also, it's impossible for me to attend parties/social functions. I hurt my 80 year old favorite aunt when I didn't attend her birthday party....same thing with my good friend when he turned 30. I have good intentions....I say I'll go but then I don't show up which makes it worse.

Anyway, today is day 3 on my quest to rid myself of this affliction - I've started reading a self-help book "Painfully Shy" and Google brought me here. So, hi.

·
crazy
2,067 Posts
Hey welcome chihuahua, is there any possibility of doing medical transcription type work from home? I seemed to remember hearing about it a few years back and thinking wow, that would be nice. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi LostPancake,

Absolutely there is, that's the entire reason I chose MT as a career (LOL) but you have to put in at least 1 year clinical experience under a doctor at an office, clinic or hospital (hospitals are preferred) before you can (basically, be experienced enough, and trusted enough) to work unsupervised at home. Transcribing patients medical records is serious business, if you make a mistake someone could get sick, or even die (!!!) and they want you to have quite a bit of experience before you can get hired to work from home. :(

I'm facing that year right now, and it seems insurmountable.

·
crazy
2,067 Posts
Hi LostPancake,

Absolutely there is, that's the entire reason I chose MT as a career (LOL) but you have to put in at least 1 year clinical experience under a doctor at an office, clinic or hospital (hospitals are preferred) before you can (basically, be experienced enough, and trusted enough) to work unsupervised at home. Transcribing patients medical records is serious business, if you make a mistake someone could get sick, or even die (!!!) and they want you to have quite a bit of experience before you can get hired to work from home. :(

I'm facing that year right now, and it seems insurmountable.
Hmm, maybe you could write a cover letter explaining your situation, that you're working on your SA, and that you'll be a really conscientious worker, but would prefer having minimal social interactions, if possible, to cut down on distractions. If I were hiring someone for such an important position where accuracy is so critical, I'd want someone who is really conscientious (to avoid any future lawsuits!), and not be distracted by talking with other people all the time. So you might actually be a really good person for the job, and maybe you could sell yourself that way. Say that you want to put in a year to prove yourself, but you would ultimately like to work at home. Or, if your SA improves over the year, you might end up feeling comfortable enough to continue working there.

Anyway, it might be worth a shot...

·
(.*?)
6,611 Posts
When you say you attended college for medical transcription, do you mean you did that in person outside your home, not online courses? If so, maybe you can isolate what the differences are which have made your work environments worse than the college environment.

Welcome.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey Annie :wel

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Hoth,

Yes, I did manage to attend in person. The differences are this:

In school, you can sit in the back, not speak to anyone, never give an answer, never speak to anyone, leave when class is over or just walk straight out if you need to, but generally blend in and "float" your way through the entire experience.

There was once when I took a zero on a major test/presentation grade which brought down my GPA because I would not present my A paper in front of the class. I didn't even have the nerve to tell the teacher I wouldn't be presenting, I wrote her a note!

In the work place, you're a "new employee" - you're taken around, introduced to everyone, you MUST talk to them, horrible small talk most times. You're there all day long every day (I went to school part-time, so 3 hours per week max) and you cannot just up and leave. You're stuck there, no way out, you cannot cry or get sick without causing attention to yourself. People expect things of you, you must do your job, you may make embarrassing mistakes. ESPECIALLY when you're new and you don't know everything (or even most things) yet. I have a mistake phobia (if you will) and would rather be punched in the face than make a mistake in front of someone. Being a new employee just invites mistakes. I'm sweating just talking about it! Ugh.

But those are the differences. :)

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
:wel. I'm Karl.

·
Too School for Cool
6,857 Posts
Catchy thread title! I smiled.

I have the same kind of issues: I'm fine at school but as soon as I need to step beyond that and apply what I've learned in a job, I'm a nervous wreck.

Good luck on beating your anxiety, and I hope this forum proves to be a helpful step.!

:wels

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi AyEchiHUaHUa,
Thanks for sharing. I can see that you've been through a lot. I think you must be a pretty strong person already. Hope your SA gets better!

·
(.*?)
6,611 Posts
Hi Hoth,

Yes, I did manage to attend in person. The differences are this:

In school, you can sit in the back, not speak to anyone, never give an answer, never speak to anyone, leave when class is over or just walk straight out if you need to, but generally blend in and "float" your way through the entire experience.
True. I found school pretty easy for the same reasons, though many people here can't handle attending class.

In the work place, you're a "new employee" - you're taken around, introduced to everyone, you MUST talk to them, horrible small talk most times.

That would be horrid. But personally I've only done three jobs but none were anything like that:
1) Inventory work one summer. No socializing involved at all really. The boss would occasionally stop by to tell me to speed up, but mostly I'd be on my own. Some of the workers talked to each other sometimes but never to me. Boring as heck to count the number of nails in Lowe's, and not something I wanted as a career, but not socially challenging.
2) Online test scoring. A bit challenging since I had to call up the scoring leaders after "calibrating" and they'd call me to tell me to hurry up some other times, but it was pure work conversation, certainly no small talk. So it was annoying but at a level I could certainly handle.
3) Now I'm a self-employed programmer and only talk to my customers via email.

It's certainly very limiting to avoid social jobs, but I'm surprised you couldn't find anything when you tried so many different jobs.

You're there all day long every day (I went to school part-time, so 3 hours per week max) and you cannot just up and leave. You're stuck there, no way out, you cannot cry or get sick without causing attention to yourself.

You were able to feel okay about getting up and leaving in school? Personally I was afraid to ever get up and leave from class (even to the restroom) because I didn't want to draw attention to myself. I guess maybe class is easier because it only lasts an hour and then there's a natural leaving point... but I had a couple of 4 hour classes.

There must be some work environments more conductive to sneaking off to hide for a few minutes than others.

I have a mistake phobia (if you will) and would rather be punched in the face than make a mistake in front of someone.

Yeah, that'd be a big difference I guess. In school the mistakes only show up privately in a test score.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I can understand the avoidance. Learning to think out responses to common situations I was afraid of helped me out a bit... I'm still learning and not totally brave enough to get into every situation but... I can talk to the girl at the coffee shop now without the fear of explaining my life situation, or when conversation approaches a topic that's not comfortable with me, I know how to excuse myself. People also are understanding and can take hints/clues and if they got too personal with their questions, they know when to stop. It was hard for me to accept, but there are more understanding people out there that will make it easy on you.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, AyeChihuahua! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts