Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
tsassos
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, just found this site today. My name is Tommy and I've been dealing with social anxiety, and every other social phobia you can think of for quite some time. My main issue is with the opposite sex. I'm 20 years old and don't talk to any girls on campus whatsoever. I'm terrified of putting myself out there or even initiating a conversation with a girl. I've seen multiple psychologists/psychiatrists but nothing has really helped. In order to compensate for my lack of social prowess, I've become somewhat of an alcoholic, hoping that alcohol will loosen me up enough to talk to girls, but it doesn't help. I'm currently prescribed to 225 mg. of Effexor, 300 mg. of Seroquel, and I take Clonzepam as needed. None of these medications have really done anything for me, and I'm still as lost as I ever was. It's tough being in a frat and not being able to talk to girls. Everyone around me is able to so easily, whereas I'm sitting here having kissed only three girls in my entire life. I'm running out of hope that things will get better. As I write this right now a bunch of people are hanging out outside in the hallway and I'm too scared to go join them, so I'm just drinking alone instead. I think I'm heading down a horrible path and I don't know what to do. I've always held out hope that these medications will help but they aren't. All I'm doing is drinking more and more and gaining more and more weight while making no progress in my social life. If anyone is going through anything similar I'd love to hear it. I'm running out of options here and I don't know where to turn to.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey Tommy, welcome to :sas

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
Welcome, TSassos! :)

Alcohol can get people in trouble, that is for sure. Kissing three girls is more than some have, so I would not minimize that. Things will get better, but throwing yourself in situations without knowing the tools to handle it would on;y cause more panic. I think you are on the right path given that you are taking medication - which may not be a long-term thing, anyway.

When talking to a girl, just find something that she is interested in that you know something about.

That's just a start - being on here over time, you will learn more.

Welcome to the forum! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts