Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not exactly a social anxiety thing, but probably related. I have a lot of problems making sure that everything around me is in "equilibrium".

For example: When I leave my apartment, I turn off all the lights (save electricity, nothing weird about that), but I also make sure every door in my apartment is shut, and that I shut them in a particular order. Put my wallet in the same pocket every time, put my cell phone in the other same pocket every time (and various other small stupid things). If I am leaving in a hurry for some reason and I get in my car, I often think I perhaps missed something in my ritual, and I must go back inside and do it over. Often takes me 2 or 3 times of getting in my car to actually go anywhere. Anyone who may see me doing this probably thinks I'm very mentally disturbed.

I have this same sort of problem in other should-be normal tasks (ie I'm going to double check everything in my apartment again before going to sleep)

Does anyone else have the same sort of issue?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I know someone who does this sort of thing. When she leaves the house, she always has to lock the door three times.

She'll lock the door, then a few second later unlocks it and locks it again, just to be sure that she has really locked it. Then walks away from the door, but goes back to check the door once more, unlocks it and locks it again. It's like a compulsion. She was diagnosed with a mild case of OCD.

It's probably related to SA, but in an indirect way.

·
Hear, See , Be silent
1,421 Posts
I think this is related to autism, actually
Yes but most likely they would know if they were autistic. My guess is OCD.

·
Registered
262 Posts
yah i think i have the same thing, for some reasons when i watch movies i have to hear every word said and if i missed the slightest detail I rewind. I also find my self repeating the lines in my head for some durring the movie.

·
stillborn
1,764 Posts
When I'm at the store I'll pick up an item and the one next to it looks sad so I'll pick that one instead, or it's got to be the 5th box back.
I do that too! I'll dig through the shelf of boxes to the one at the very back, or one that has a dent in it- because that one is the one no one will want. I once spend 15 minutes doing that.

·
gnomely
228 Posts
I can relate very much to the OP -- my days are filled with seemingly meaningless routines, restoring order to my surroundings. I often stay at work after everyone has gone, so that I can do this properly and without observation. (I'm not certain I'd really notice the extent of my fixation on "order", if I weren't so conscious of what other people would think if they observed it.)

Worryingly, I also feel like something bad will happen if I don't do these little things, though I know logically that isn't true.

I do that too! I'll dig through the shelf of boxes to the one at the very back, or one that has a dent in it- because that one is the one no one will want. I once spend 15 minutes doing that.
I am this way, also. I've been brought to tears by having to leave a sad-looking item behind. It's lonely, and I wasn't able to help it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Yo I do the same when Im watching movies, even if its a stupid movie and whatever I missed is not that important to the plot. I just feel like I HAVE to know. OCD I think.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Not exactly a social anxiety thing, but probably related. I have a lot of problems making sure that everything around me is in "equilibrium".

For example: When I leave my apartment, I turn off all the lights (save electricity, nothing weird about that), but I also make sure every door in my apartment is shut, and that I shut them in a particular order. Put my wallet in the same pocket every time, put my cell phone in the other same pocket every time (and various other small stupid things). If I am leaving in a hurry for some reason and I get in my car, I often think I perhaps missed something in my ritual, and I must go back inside and do it over. Often takes me 2 or 3 times of getting in my car to actually go anywhere. Anyone who may see me doing this probably thinks I'm very mentally disturbed.

I have this same sort of problem in other should-be normal tasks (ie I'm going to double check everything in my apartment again before going to sleep)

Does anyone else have the same sort of issue?
yup, same here
it's called ocd
before i go to bed at night i double check that everything is turned off, and the door is locked
i hate that
i'm able to not do this only when i'm conscious about it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts