Never. I just got some free T-shirt & key chain with Army logos on them when I was 18.
I don't want the military & they don't want me. I would be unsuitable for numerous reasons:
1) Physical requirements: I'm much too fat.
2) Mental requirements: An assortment of severe anxiety disorders.
3) I'm an independent thinker and I'm not the sort that takes orders well.
4) I don't care for conformity; the military is all about conformity.
5) I don't care to risk my life; as an atheist there is no heaven awaiting me if I die in battle.
6) I'm not poor & desperate, so dangling college money in front of me fails to excite me.
7) I'm strongly opposed to US foreign policy as it exists today. I'm strongly against war in most cases. I think the military should only be used in self-defense, not as a world cop.
8 ) Given my strong dislike for both authority & US foreign policy, do you think they'd want to give me a machine gun?
I've done my year of "mandatory" service (we have conscription here). It was actually one of my more successful years, somehow I managed to get a post that was fun and interesting at the batallion HQ. Even got promoted :lol
I say "mandatory" because those that really don't want in can easily avoid it, but at the time I felt a need to do something other than school for a little while. I don't regret the choice, it was a useful (and bizarre) experience.
Being a woman I don't have to worry about that unless things change. I worry about my brother having to join if there's a draft. If there is and he gets selected I'll beat the crap out of the people forcing him to go. :b
Never have, and if at all possible I never will. Besides being out of shape and plagued by mental disorders, I do not at all have the temperament of a soldier. I'd be thinking about metaphysics and literature instead of following orders to kill people.
: come to think of it, my objection is somewhat similar to UltraShy's first four reasons.