Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Lone Demon
1,330 Posts
Schizotypal Personality Disorder. Basicly a pre-phase of schizophrenia. If left untreated can develop in schizophrenia.

·
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic
28,958 Posts
Nah, schizotypal personality disorder rarely develops into schizophrenia based on what I've read.
Yeah, that's my understanding of it too (have been offered schizotypal PD as a potential diagnosis, myself).

On the "schizophrenia spectrum," it seems like schizoid personality disorder is often at the low end, schizotypal is considered somewhere in the low-middle, somewhere in there (can't recall where) is schizoaffective disorder, and then at the high end you have full-blown schizophrenia, though they don't necessarily lead to each other...just speaking in terms of severity of symptoms. Obviously, two are personality disorders and the other is a psychosis. (Sorry, not sure what schizoaffective disorder is...a mood disorder?)

I'm curious about what prompted the OP's question...?

·
speechless
1,710 Posts
Yeah i feel like i have schizophrenia except for the seeing and hearing things

·
Permanently ******
1,723 Posts
Full-blown schizophrenia seems to involve many contributory genes. This is probably why in families where schizophrenia is very evident there tend to be a variety of other mental disorder; they inherit some, but not enough schizophrenic genes to manifest into the full-blown disorder. Perhaps there's higher rates of SPD, PPD or negative symptoms like social difficulties or depression. Most people think that schizoaffective is a mix between affective disorder and schizophrenia.

The current diagnostic criteria define a group of individuals with a mixed genetic picture. They are more likely to have schizophrenic relatives than individuals with mood disorders but more likely to have relatives with mood disorders than individuals with schizophrenia.
Speaking anecdotally, my mother has schizoaffective disorder. There was no previous psychotic disorders in the family before her, but there was some depression and anxiety and possible mild bipolar. But she's the first to develop a psychotic-spectrum disorder, and what do you know, it turned out to be a mix of affective disorder and psychosis, and probably leaning closer to the affective side than the psychotic side because there's a complete absence of negative symptoms and she's diagnosed as the manic and not depressive subtype.

·
Easy
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm curious about what prompted the OP's question...?
Ok. I dont know how to explain it but i'll try.

When i'm talking to someone and i dont clearly hear what they said, i sort of hear something else, like they've just said something negative to me. Its almost like i do a self snap judgment and assumption that they've just said something negative to me and are thinking it.

Its always themed around my own insecurities though and what i'm thinking about myself but it is distressing.

Heres an example and the reason i decided to make this thread: My friend dropped me of home and as i was getting out i was talking to him about something, i felt awkward and uncomfortable (sa :(), anyway i said seeya later and he said something back (most likely "seeya later") but i didn't hear him properly and thought he called me a p***k. And that was that. . .

·
Banned
1,545 Posts

When i'm talking to someone and i dont clearly hear what they said, i sort of hear something else, like they've just said something negative to me. Its almost like i do a self snap judgment and assumption that they've just said something negative to me and are thinking it.

Its always themed around my own insecurities though and what i'm thinking about myself but it is distressing.

Heres an example and the reason i decided to make this thread: My friend dropped me of home and as i was getting out i was talking to him about something, i felt awkward and uncomfortable (sa :(), anyway i said seeya later and he said something back (most likely "seeya later") but i didn't hear him properly and thought he called me a p***k. And that was that. . .
Sounds like splitting to me, or maybe you have a hearing problem

·
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic
28,958 Posts
Nah, schizotypal personality disorder rarely develops into schizophrenia based on what I've read.
Sure, if treated correctly.
Mine hasn't been treated...

Ah, okay, thanks for explaining.

To be honest this doesn't sound like schizophrenia of any sort to me. It sounds simply like the kind of self-judging paranoia that comes along with SA. I don't experience the same phenomenon of mishearing things, but I jump to irrational conclusions that any and EVERY interaction I have with people will be negative. Even with my online friend, who's never given me any reason to believe she'll turn on me someday; whenever I get an e-mail I dread that she'll be ranting at me in it. Ditto with every other message from every other person ever, even my mother. :roll It's utterly ridiculous, but when I get a message from somebody, that's all my brain can ever think, is, "This person must hate me and must be insulting me." Even if all signs in the past indicate this will not be the case.

Not sure if I made much sense :eek:ops but I don't think you have anything to worry about aside from your social anxiety. It's true that the stuff it makes us think sometimes sounds completely insane. :blush

·
Easy
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not sure if I made much sense :eek:ops but I don't think you have anything to worry about aside from your social anxiety. It's true that the stuff it makes us think sometimes sounds completely insane. :blush
Yeah it makes sense and i can even relate to it, after every interaction, mainly with friends, i always think they wont contact me again because i'm an idiot and not worth being around but im always surprised that they contact me or even pick a phone up to me again. Then it all resets and its this time that they wont contact me again even if the interaction was a positive one . Its like i'm just preparing myself to get rejected :blank

Its good to know its probably not schizophrenia and is just another case of SA, or maybe even splitting, i am abit of a black and white thinker. I should talk to my doctor to make sure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts