Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NoWorseThanYou said:
Tyson used to devastate his opponents with his awesome power. But I don't remember anyone who fought him ever quitting in the ring. They may have lost the fights, but they all kept their dignity.

How can he just quit like that after all the trash talking he did? He reminds me of a little kid who knocks over the checker board when it looks like he might lose.
Na, I still respect him. These are some of his quotes after the fight:

"I'm sorry I let everybody down," Tyson continued. "I'm fighting just to pay my bills. I don't have the stomach for this anymore...I don't have the desire for it. I feel bad for the people...I wish they could get their money back."

"I cannot do this no more," Mr. Tyson says. "I am not going to lie to myself. And I am not going to embarrass this sport. This is a great sport. This is a sport that has taken men with pretty humble lives and humble beginnings and put them in the position to rub shoulders with royalty. I am not going to embarrass this sport anymore."

I still think he deserves respect after all these years because of all that he's been thru. He grew up in the projects w/ no parents, w/ no where to go, w/ no guidance whatsoever. The only thing he knew how to do was fight. And that was only to survive. Sure he had the millions and lost it all. But how old was he when he hit superstardom? 20-21? He was still a kid. Anyone that age thrown into the public eye so quickly, especially someone with his background, is sure to breakdown w/o any guidance, which he had none of. And the trashtalking? It's part of boxing. Heightens the drama. Boxers do it whether they mean it or not.

I know I may alone on this, but for some reason my heart goes out to the guy....just by listening to his interviews, he seems sincere.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NoWorseThanYou said:
I wish I had problems such as being a millionaire at 20 years old. Try not having enough money to buy dinner. That's a real problem.

And I have to laugh at this whole "I don't like the sport anymore" stuff he says. Of course he doesn't like it anymore, because he can't win. Boxing just isn't very much fun when you're the guy getting his face pounded instead of pounding the other guy.
You're saying that anyone who is rich doesn't deserve empathy? Money don't buy happiness, dude....nor does it solve your problems....not even 20 million dollars. Like if I won the lottery, I would still have my SA. If anything, it magnifies your problems.

And he never said he didn't like the sport. (refer to the quotes i posted earlier.)

·
Registered
154,228 Posts
I have kind of waited to see this side of him - it's almost endearing. He dealt with a lot of anger in his lifs and used boxing to let it out. Unfortunately, there were people in his life that used his talent for their personal gain and he probably felt lost in the shuffle.

It sounds like he hit a part of his life where he knew that he couldn't continue battling the way he did. It would have destroyed him. He ended up doing it a smarter way.

And yes, money amplifies social anxiety - it adds pressure from people to actually do stuff with the money!

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
concept said:
NoWorseThanYou said:
I wish I had problems such as being a millionaire at 20 years old. Try not having enough money to buy dinner. That's a real problem.

And I have to laugh at this whole "I don't like the sport anymore" stuff he says. Of course he doesn't like it anymore, because he can't win. Boxing just isn't very much fun when you're the guy getting his face pounded instead of pounding the other guy.
You're saying that anyone who is rich doesn't deserve empathy? Money don't buy happiness, dude....nor does it solve your problems....not even 20 million dollars. Like if I won the lottery, I would still have my SA. If anything, it magnifies your problems.

And he never said he didn't like the sport. (refer to the quotes i posted earlier.)
:agree You know, there is this trend in our society for people to say that since a person is rich, he/she shouldn't have any problems, like they are somehow above human nature. Tyson had some serious mental problems. No doubt a rough childhood scared him. No amount of money can change his influences or his mindset.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
NoWorseThanYou said:
"I hate the boxing game."

"I never appreciated the fame unless I used it to get what I wanted. Great, I never had to wait in line for a restaurant or a club. I never had a problem getting the best girl."

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing ... 3509&num=3

Tell me you wouldn't be happy living in a mansion sleeping with all the hottest women.

C'mon, give me a break. I have no sympathy for him.
Whoa, talk about taking those quotes out of context.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NoWorseThanYou said:
Mike Tyson was a thug, plain and simple. I have more sympathy for his victims than I do for him.
Key word is 'was'. What, there's no such thing as repentance? He's never killed anyone, so I believe he does deserve to be forgiven.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Finding possible reasons for the way he thinks is not the same as excusing his actions, I don't think anybody here did that. I also don't that that anybody here doesn't have sympathy for his victims, either his rape victim, a slightly deformed Evander Holyfield, whomever.

Quitting something that you know you can't do anymore isn't being a baby, in fact, it is quite noble. If only some of today's pro athletes would take the hint.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.