Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm guessing it's a pretty common secondary disorder for anxiety, but does anyone ever feel like the psychological pain from them is worse then physical pain?

I get some pretty nasty ones that can last for days and I notice that I get pretty weird and have a hard time holding onto reality when I'm going through one.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Oh man that is awful. I've only had two migraines in my life but they were the full monty with flashing lights and excruciating pain. It would be hard not to become depressed if I had them regularly.

Changes in mood and cognition are common during and after an attack. It's not surprising that you would feel weird and disoriented.

Have you tried any of the newer medications for migraine? Some of them can stop an attack before it gets bad.

·
Banned
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just got through with trying Topamax as a preventative and it made me start hallucinating and felt like I was on lsd for two weeks straight. The triptans like imitrex make me have anxiety too. And I'm getting sick of being knocked out by painkillers.

I think I'm just going to start facing down the migraines and let them make me stronger.

·
Registered
794 Posts
No, but I do have Migraine's very regularly. I have them two or three times a week and they usually last a day or two, paraceitamol doesn't get rid of them and neither does sleeping. It's just luck.

I haven't even thought about the psychological pain before because the physical pain was too much, and I always get REALLY bad nausea with them too.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Have you tried the ergotamine-based meds, such as Cafergot? I had a friend who said it worked for him as long as he took it in time.

·
Banned
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am trying this abortive stuff now called MigraTen, but don't know if it'll help much for a big one. The problem with that too is it keeps me from being able to sleep it off, so I'm still stuck dealing with that feeling that it'll never end.

I think once I get on disability and can afford to make some healthy lifestyle changes, it should have a really big impact too. If I can get to the point where they aren't happening so often, I'll be able to recover my endurance for the next one. I've actually started to appreciate how it's made me tougher mentally though.

·
indecisive piece of ****
634 Posts
I can't even go into depth on how much I hate migraines. First I get the aura, or better known as that light that blinds your vision as if you had stared directly into the sun or a lightbulb... and once that goes away, the pain comes. Head hurting so bad you start throwing up. Nausea, and anything you eat or drink - water, soda crackers, Advil- it will all end up spewed in a toilet.

I would rather have 1-2 years taken off my life than have another migraine. Maybe even 5 years!

·
Registered
236 Posts
The meds I take for migraines make me act really strange if I don't go straight to sleep. First, I'll talk a whole lot, them I'll walk around with my eyes closed, bobbing my head like a bird, mumbling cryptic things.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts