Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working in a temporary data entry job for the past month, and for the most part it's going well. I was unemployed for over a year before this, so it's given me a self-esteem boost.

It's already extended slightly beyond the 4 weeks it was supposed to last, but there isn't much data entry work left to do. However, the company needs more people to do customer service over the phones. That's a scary prospect for me but I'd be willing to do it if it meant keeping the job.

My manager said she'd like to keep me on permanently, but she knows I'm shy and she's not convinced I could handle the pressure of talking on the phone. I'm the only temp she hasn't decided what to do with - one of them has already been moved to the phones, and the other three she's going to let go when the data entry work is finished.

As much as I hate phone calls, I'm still frustrated that I'm seemingly within arm's reach of a permanent job but might lose the opportunity because of my shyness.

·
Stuck
1,055 Posts
I think you should just tell the manager you want to do it. Even though it might be tough, just think about how hard it might be to find another job so you should take this opportunity.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you should just tell the manager you want to do it. Even though it might be tough, just think about how hard it might be to find another job so you should take this opportunity.
The temp who got moved to the phones said the same thing, that I should just tell the manager I want to do it. I think the issue though is the manager not believing I'm cut out for the work even if I want to do it.

I might try to drop some hints that I want to though.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Yeah, say that you want to do it and you're confident that you can (even if there's a voice in the back of your mind trying to say that you can't).

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't mention anything to my manager today. I couldn't bring myself to do it.

I should probably feel encouraged by the fact that she ever considered putting me on the phones, but I keep imagining all the negative reactions I could get if I bring it up now. If she says something like 'If I wanted to give you the position, I would've moved you when I moved the other temp' I'll feel so stupid.

On the other hand, if I mention it and get turned down, at least I'll know I tried.

I can't seem to summon up any confidence in this situation....which I guess is validating her concerns about how well I'd manage in a customer service role, haha.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I've now been moved to the phones. Not through any effort of my own, I have to admit - I never did work up the courage to approach my manager, but the other transferred temp put in a good word for me. I'm still going to be a temp but the work should now last a lot longer.

I'm still in training, haven't had to speak to any customers yet, just listened in to other staff taking calls and inputted the customers' requests onto the computer. I don't know how it will go when I have to answer the calls myself, even just listening to the calls puts me on edge a bit, but hopefully I'll manage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts