Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Protector of the Den
15,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else like crafting with metal? I don't do a lot of work with metal, but I've made a few things out of wire. Here's a dog I made quite awhile ago out of wire. I'd like to eventually expand into more advanced methods like metal casting

·
Protector of the Den
15,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, should give it a try :) I've made a mouse, a very small bit of chainmail, and a few practice wire rings. Really not much wire stuff. I was trying to make some rings out of coins but have gotten side tracked with other things. You basically tap the edge of the coin to flatten the edge and make the ring. You then drill a hole and use a hacksaw to cut out the center of the ring

·
You spoony bard!
8,729 Posts
My goal in the next few years is to get a welder, and some torches where I can work with wire and steel, I'd love a 3d metal printer but they're like a million dollars still :(

·
Protector of the Den
15,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My goal in the next few years is to get a welder, and some torches where I can work with wire and steel, I'd love a 3d metal printer but they're like a million dollars still :(
Sounds fun. Plan to be self-taught or take classes? I worry about getting into welding because when I fooled around with soldering it went so bad. I used flux but I was still having trouble getting the tin solder to stick. There are classes for welding, but not sure if there are ones just for soldering. Since tin is easy to melt I might just use my leftover solder to make some practice casts.

·
You spoony bard!
8,729 Posts
Sounds fun. Plan to be self-taught or take classes? I worry about getting into welding because when I fooled around with soldering it went so bad. I used flux but I was still having trouble getting the tin solder to stick. There are classes for welding, but not sure if there are ones just for soldering. Since tin is easy to melt I might just use my leftover solder to make some practice casts.
Self mostly, I've worked with silver and as long as you're using high quality metals and solder it should stick pretty easily.. It's also somewhat affordable compared to gold.. You can make some nice things but they tarnish after a while which kind of sucks.

My grandpa does some scrap metal work, its kind of interesting to come across a chunk of solid copper or brass and just kind of tinker around with it... It is fascinating that just a couple protons can completely change the element and its properties...

·
∞
51 Posts
yeah working with metal is awesome! I like to weld, I prefer the oxygen acetylene over the wire feed. It's fun, unless your wearing a tank top :shock lol that's what I get for trying to be tough.

Here is a leaf I made out of scrap and what I like to call the Death Star, more like Death Trap

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts