Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a couple of days ago I met fellow SASer for the very first time:boogie:boogie:boogie. We live really close to each other so we thought what the heck! I have to be honest, I was ridiculously nervous… like bat-**** out of my mind nervous. There was a certain point where I thought I couldn’t do it and wanted to turn back but I am proud that I was able to work through it. Once I started to feel comfortable it got so much better. Overall, it was great nice meeting and I had a lot of fun! I thought it went really well and there’s definitely going to be another meet up sometime.

I think it would be nice if more SA’ers met up!! Especially if you guys are in the same vicinity.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Congrats on not turning around :)

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
There are a few SASers I would love to meet IRL but:

1. I have SA

2. I live in the middle of nowhere.

3. I have SA.

4. I have SA.

As strongly as I come across on SAS, IRL I would be a lil' ole mouse hiding in the corner.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are a few SASers I would love to meet IRL but:

1. I have SA

2. I live in the middle of nowhere.

3. I have SA.

4. I have SA.

As strongly as I come across on SAS, IRL I would be a lil' ole mouse hiding in the corner.
No trust me I know how you feel. I was a wreck the whole time and I think he noticed but was very understanding because I'm sure he's been there before. Whoever you meet will understand as well. My S.A. was worse at the meeting than it's been in a while. I couldn't really mentally function haha but it didn't matter I still had fun.

oh and thanks Brightpaperwarewolf ;).

·
Banned
3,567 Posts
Great job not backing out. That alone is a real victory, and having a fairly good time just adds to it. You should be proud of yourself.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am somewhat interested in the idea of meeting someone with SA. I read on another forum, and I don't know how true this is because I'm relatively new to this disorder, that constantly being exposed to people really helps SA. I don't know if this was in a controlled setting or what, but the explanation they gave seemed to make it seem logical.

The funny thing is, the first time I ever met someone who I would probably guess to have SA or at least was just as socially inept as myself, I actually felt more confident of myself and remember feeling more outgoing/personable with that person than anyone I'd ever met, prior to or after. It is interesting to meet other people on the same mental wavelength as you, especially if you've ever felt like you couldn't possibly ever meet such a person, like I did.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The funny thing is, the first time I ever met someone who I would probably guess to have SA or at least was just as socially inept as myself, I actually felt more confident of myself and remember feeling more outgoing/personable with that person than anyone I'd ever met, prior to or after. It is interesting to meet other people on the same mental wavelength as you, especially if you've ever felt like you couldn't possibly ever meet such a person, like I did.
Exposure therapy has helped a lot of people! I thought I wouldn't be so shy around someone who has a form of S.A. but it was the complete opposite. I was just as anxious if not more. It's great to communicate with people who understand but I personally don't think it's much easier.

Thanks atticus :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts