Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Lost
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya! I was wondering like how many people suffer social anxiety to the point where it affects their life. It sorta seems like I'm the only person on the planet that has this problem, but obviously not and thank god for this site!

I was wondering has anyone ever met someone at school or whatever that has social anxiety or you think may have social anxiety?

Like it seems so rare to come across someone like us in general life.

I can only think of one other person that may have sa. he was my friends roommate and he is REALLY quiet. he is way quieter than me and he stays at home all day and plays computer games. some of my other friends made fun of him and it made me a bit angry...i was always nice to him because i know what its like. Apart from that guy, ive never met anyone with sa, how bout you?

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Hiya! I was wondering like how many people suffer social anxiety to the point where it affects their life. It sorta seems like I'm the only person on the planet that has this problem, but obviously not and thank god for this site!

I was wondering has anyone ever met someone at school or whatever that has social anxiety or you think may have social anxiety?
I know exactly what you mean. It's almost like we are on our own and I would have seriously thought so if not for this site. They say SA is quite common but how come we don't meet anyone with it in our day-to-day lives?

Once I had a friend who was very shy and likes to stay alone and everything and I thought he had SA until one day he gave a presentation with so much ease. He was not even prepared for it. The teacher just asked him and he did it just like that. It surprised me that all this time I thought he had SA but in fact he was just reserved and bit shy whereas I am the one with SA. It's almost like I am the only one in my community

·
wtf
419 Posts
I met someone in class with SA. I wanted to befriend him but it seemed impossible. I think my approaches scared him away and he kept avoiding me by using the stairs. He didn't talk to anyone else in class either except to say a few necessary things to one of our group members.

·
Banned
4,722 Posts

I can only think of one other person that may have sa. he was my friends roommate and he is REALLY quiet. he is way quieter than me and he stays at home all day and plays computer games. some of my other friends made fun of him and it made me a bit angry...i was always nice to him because i know what its like. Apart from that guy, ive never met anyone with sa, how bout you?
I often have the same thoughts, Franky. I was going to start a thread about how hard it is to believe there are actually other people out there with SAD. I was convinced I was the only one in the world like this before I found out about SA and this forum. It's still hard for me to believe now.

My sister's best friend has SA, and one of my friends has SA as well as bipolar disorder. I rarely see him because he is very avoidant, but we keep in touch through e-mail. Other than that, I've never come across anyone I thought might have had SA. I suppose that's why I feel so alone with this problem :|

·
Geese
20,768 Posts
Never met anyone who I knew has/had it, though I am sure I have met quite a few who did but did not know it, just like 99% of people I meet will have no idea I suffer from it.

I would love to do a SAS meet, but no-one in my area seems interested.

·
In 'da 707
4,382 Posts
Yea i've run into one person last semester who was probably SA, but i was too chicken to talk to her about it. She'd barely talk, and when she did, she was hard to hear.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
I think my sister might have SA because she's extremely quiet but it's not near as severe as mine is. Other than that I can't say for sure I have seen some others that I thought might have SA but never met many that I can remember, We don't get out much as a group! :p

·
herp derp
2,347 Posts
I do not think I have ever met someone with the disorder - with just social anxiety then perhaps a few. And yes, I can relate to what you say about being nice to fellow SA-ers - I think shy people are naturally drawn to other shy people probably because we all despise being lonely.
About 5 years ago when my SA was not really apparent, there was this girl (now a good friend) who was awfully shy and even though it felt incredibly awkward to be around her since back then, when someone asked her a question, she would act as if she hadn't heard it which made things even more awkward and was generally not very responsive but just being around her and going places with her even though she never really spoke/wasn't the funnest person to hang around meant the whole world to her to the point where she would go to places where she really hated just so that she could be around "friends".
She is now, whilst not the loudest person in the world nor the most talkative, alot more open and responsive. :)

·
A Living Woman
3,464 Posts
I actually have Facebook to thank for this.

One day I decided to write a note about social anxiety. It wasn't really meant to be informative or anything like that - I was just talking about how it affected my life and how I felt about it. One girl who rode my bus replied and I was surprised because...she was really well known and everyone liked her. Still, thinking about it, she didn't talk a lot to people she wasn't friends with already. On the bus she didn't talk at all but to one person who I think was her best friend...anyway, she replied saying she thought she was the only person with this problem and she was glad I said something.

My mother worked with the girl's boyfriend's mom and it turns out she has anxiety, too. My mom would drive with her to work because sometimes she was too anxious to do it alone.

AND, thanks to Facebook, I found another girl about 2 years ago who has anxiety and we started hanging out. She's friends with girl I went to high school with who, surprise surprise, has anxiety as well and actually recommended a support group to me. I didn't know she had anxiety until this year, haha.

My English 10 GT teacher (who passed away this year, R.I.P. Mrs. Sunderdick)...I don't know if she had social anxiety but it seemed like she had experience with it. She was a very sweet person and was at the very least introverted. When my anxiety was really bad and all of my teachers were notified, she was very understanding.

If you're open about it, I think it increases your chances of finding people with the same problems as you. More people have experience with social anxiety than you may think!

·
Registered
89 Posts
A classmate I befriended opened up to me and told me she had SA. I just listened but I didn't have the courage to tell her that I had it too. Since the class ended I try to keep in contact with her but she's not as responsive.

I went to a meetup of SA people and there was a total of 8 of us. I hope to attend more of those meetups.

·
Born Of Blotmonað
19,070 Posts
I can't at the moment think of anyone I've known who I would have thought had/has social anxiety but I think I have to delve into my mind more to be sure there is no one.

Interestingly I was watching an episode of Mad Men yesterday & one line that stood out to me was:

"You're loud but shy"

I think this is likely true of half the people here on this board as some people with anxiety try harder to present an extroverted front even though inside they may really be struggling. Not everyone is going to see beyond that & note that someone is quite socially anxious but the socially anxious person who is quieter always stands out

·
Banned
302 Posts
I really would like to meet others with my level of SA. I have tried to post that in the friends/connections category on this forum--no such luck yet. I like the forum, but it would be much nicer to make actual person-to-person connections.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've never met anyone who has it, although it could be that they just wouldn't tell me. I don't always have a very good sense of people, so I can't say for certain. It seems like everyone in my school is so outgoing. It's like a family. They fit in so easily.

I'm so effing jealous >:eek:

·
A Living Woman
3,464 Posts
I've never met anyone who has it, although it could be that they just wouldn't tell me. I don't always have a very good sense of people, so I can't say for certain. It seems like everyone in my school is so outgoing. It's like a family. They fit in so easily.

I'm so effing jealous >:eek:
Well every family has an oddball who might not know it but is equally loved... :yes

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
In elementary there was a girl who was mute. I never heard her voice once, but she whispered to the teachers and a couple classmates. I don't know if it was SA or something else, but I'm presuming it was extreme SA.

And in high school there was this guy who really appealed to me. I didn't have any classes with him, but he seemed very stiff and reserved and was always alone too. That's the only person I've ever known who I thought could possibly have SA :( I wish there were more.

·
Registered
388 Posts
In elementary there was a girl who was mute. I never heard her voice once, but she whispered to the teachers and a couple classmates. I don't know if it was SA or something else, but I'm presuming it was extreme SA.

And in high school there was this guy who really appealed to me. I didn't have any classes with him, but he seemed very stiff and reserved and was always alone too. That's the only person I've ever known who I thought could possibly have SA :( I wish there were more.
there are a few kids in some of my classes that don't have anyone to talk to, but from uncertainty i haven't been able to introduce myself. if people with SA could be more assertive, maybe we would have an idea of who's dealing with SA and who's not. like...take out a big megaphone and yell it out. then maybe we'd be surprised =D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts