Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whether it is just a couple of us or a few of us, I thought it is time to stop talking for an eternity about a Melbourne meet-up and actually make it happen. As long as an amenable time and date can be discussed, I'm in. I've been to meet-ups from other online places and met numerous people from online before, so I'm comfortable meeting people and know how to do it safely and whatnot. I'm also a (student-)teacher, so I have a natural empathy quota. :)

Register your interest here and some concrete places, times, and dates.

·
Geese
20,768 Posts
There are a ****eload of Melbourne peeps here so should be a good meet. Have fun :)

·
P4
1,238 Posts
Yeah, there are! I was wondering why the melbourne groups are so empty :(
Anyways, I'm in as long as it's the holidays... which is about 3-4 weeks time? I live in Melbourne in the breaks but I go to uni in NSW.
It'll also be my first time meeting a group of people with SA so... just letting you know. And preferably a place that's easily accessible to public transport, I don't mind where as long as it's not too complicated :D

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyways, I'm in as long as it's the holidays... which is about 3-4 weeks time? I live in Melbourne in the breaks but I go to uni in NSW.
You should find out exactly when you are in Melbourne.

And preferably a place that's easily accessible to public transport, I don't mind where as long as it's not too complicated :D
A place in or near the CBD would probably be preferable then. Usually inner-city suburbs have a variety of good places too and are accessible via short tram trips at the very least.

It'll also be my first time meeting a group of people with SA so... just letting you know.
As long as you turn up if you make a commitment. :)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am on a two-week break from September 21 to October 2. Weekends at any time of the year are fine with me, however. I imagine most people prefer Saturday or Sunday, around lunch time, but that is up to others to decide.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
I'm cool with anytime on the weekends since now I have gotten my licence.

Last person I met from SAS I met in Melbourne Central, the person before that was a dude who I met with in Richmond. He showed me the bar circuit and I know some good places to catch some live music, too, if you're all interested?

I don't mind being taxi to somebody else either since I am a non-drinker.

SO I guess all that's left is to reach a general consensus on a good time and date??

·
The b**** is back
1,121 Posts
I'm free Sundays, but I could probably work out a Saturday if no-one else is.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Awesome, :D more people. I live in Keysborough, I can drive but I'm not so good at driving and directions in general. The live music sounds great! at least to me...
I know someone from social anxiety meets who lives in Keysborough. If he comes along and you really need help getting to wherever the meet-up is, something might be able to be worked out in that regard.

Jaiyyson, I have no problem with bars and live music, but what do other people want to do? It might also be a problem if Sunday is a popular date, as it usually is with things like this. Pyramidsong has already indicated being free more easily on Sundays than Saturdays.

Anyway, dates September 12/13 and 19/20 seem to be fine so far. I am sure we could decide on something before then.

·
P4
1,238 Posts
^ that sounds great, but i honestly don't mind. I could just drive to the station and leave my car there. My parents (are the asian kind, lol) are overly protective and whenever I had friends pick me up they would always criticise me after, especially if they're male and not from my highschool.
So are there only 4 people interested?! Looks like sunday is okay with everyone here so far...

·
Registered
928 Posts
I just saw this. Ive been saying since I got on this damn forum Id meet up. But now Im pregnant. Bars prolly wont be my thing anymore and I feel like crap seriously. :flush Cant drink or smoke either. So thats not fun. (as I kinda relied on them to cure my SA before).
I am still in the Dandenong area (not far from you Judi). So perhaps another time. (Moving to Pakenham in December). I seriously dont want to make any excuses. But being pregnant is kinda a biggie right now.
I do hope you all meet up and have an awesome time!!!.. for me too. :)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That could be possible. List a thing or two you want to do, however.

I don't think the bars and live bands idea will work on a Sunday, since that would be a Sunday night thing? I know that is a poor time for most people, with Monday around the corner and all. If it is a Sunday, I suppose we could eat lunch and go to bars afterwards if anyone is inclined.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I just saw this, would be awesome idea for me later on.. But even the thought of it scares me atm.. Maybe in a couple of months or so.

Have fun though, I'm dying to meet some other people with SA :)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sunday September 6, 12PM? There are a variety of options, but I am guessing most would like it to be in the CBD or as close to the CBD as possible? I like a cafe (with good food and everything) in Carlton, just a block away from the Melbourne Museum, but if you come from Spencer Street Station you might not be inclined to have a fifteen minute walk. I've been there before and it is a good place and close to the CBD. There is lots of space there - it's a big cafe - so we can find a quiet corner and be a little less nervous.

Cafe Notturno: http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=e...bmxDA&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=result&resnum=1 http://www.cafenotturno.com.au/

There are other places in the city, but a number of them I can't even remember the name or exact location. I have been to the Melbourne Bar and Bistro before on the corner of Elizabeth and Bourke Streets, which is an all-you-can-eat place. There are a number of Asian restaurants around we could try, but then I forget the names of the places and do not frequent them often.

Melbourne Bar and Bistro: http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&...lbourne+bar+and+bistro&geocode=Fdv_vv0doPijCA

And yes, please come Genelle. :) Help us decide on a time and place and come along!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts