Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I joined 2 groups in my area months ago, yet I have never actually attended an event. I'm curious to know what other peoples' experiences have been with this site.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have attended a few meet-ups of one group and I really enjoyed it. There is not much to say on the subject really, other than I recommending attending and seeing for yourself.

Was there anything specific you wanted to know about?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What type of event did you attend?

Did you find it easier to relate to people since you had a common interest?

·
Registered
310 Posts
It was a shyness and social anxiety meet-up, a lunch and usually coffee afterwards, so as you could imagine I related well to the people who attended. Conversation came so much easier to me and everyone else since we all had a common interest, of sorts, and relieved ourselves of the pressures to be social we might have in an ordinary setting.

Unfortunately I cannot relate any experiences about a general interest as of yet.

·
···---···
3,375 Posts
I tried this a few years ago and thought it worked really well. Signed up for some topics I had an interest in and met some really nice people. I avoid anything too social because that would be too stressful for me. But everyone I met seemed nice and normal. Even got some phone numbers from women without asking for it (sent through the site). And none of these were even dating related meetups I went to.

It was also surprising because I met some people who worked in industries related to what I had worked in. It started to feel like business networking all over again. So it just sort of branches out like that... but I guess that's how the real world works. If anything, it worked too well and I stopped going so I could go back to into my shell. But I actually plan on going again in the future if that makes any sense.

But these are socially oriented groups. Almost everyone talks... a lot. If you're painfully shy, then you'll feel out of place. You could pick a group specifically for social anxiety but then you could just as well use this forum instead. But if you're more at a level where you manage to make some conversation if it's around a topic you have interest in, then I think it's a great idea to give it a try.

·
Losing Ground
2,121 Posts
I'm hoping to go to my first meeting this month for an SA group.

·
MayTheForceBeWithYou
19,559 Posts
Ive been with my group for a bit of a year now, I think it is great.
Helps me out by getting me out of the house, and I try to help others out on their SA.

if you aren't sure, just try it. Some of my experience is that some people will go to the destination and get scared to get out of the car and go back home. just go.

some people have experience bad times it really depends on the group i think... for me my group is awesome.

·
Suit up!
390 Posts
I signed up for the SA group in my area, but I've always been to hesitant to go because most people in the group seem to be much older than me. I'm afraid I can't relate to them. ):

·
wtf
419 Posts
I went to two dance meetups. I sort of gave up after the first two, partly due to laziness. It wasn't bad, I just didn't meet as many people as I had hoped and it was kind of boring. But I didn't try hard either. I'm sure that if I was more proactive, I could probably make something of it. The people there didn't seem to be interested in dance as much as they were interested in socializing. In fact, their dance skills were rather nonexistent.

Don't give up on the idea till you try it though, and don't be lazy like me.

I signed up for the SA group in my area, but I've always been to hesitant to go because most people in the group seem to be much older than me. I'm afraid I can't relate to them. ):
Same here. There were several meetup groups I chose not to attend simply because I felt too young.

·
···---···
3,375 Posts
That's true... people on meetup tend to be well past college age. But you should consider meeting with people on this forum. I always felt the opposite here... that I'm too old to meet with people from here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I joined 2 groups in my area months ago, yet I have never actually attended an event. I'm curious to know what other peoples' experiences have been with this site.
thanks for the link, I found alot of interesting groups in my area...now I just need to get the nerve to go to a meet up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts