Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Suit up!
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this belongs here, but I have a quick question about meeting with a psychiatrist. Last time I saw mine he told me to make an appointment a month from that day (yeah tell the kid with SA to call). I can't swallow my pills and don't get to practice all that often because my roommate is almost always around so I haven't been taking them. Should I even bother making that appointment or just wait until I'm regularly taking the medicine? I felt like such an idiot last time I met with him and told him I couldn't swallow them. He acted as if I was the first person that has ever told him that.

·
Fall 7 times, stand up 8.
8,916 Posts
I think it's fine if you make an appointment now, even if the medication isn't being taken on schedule.

I have trouble swallowing even small pills. I end up chugging water so the pill goes straight down my throat. Have you tried drinking that or milk to help it go down?

·
Chief Worrier
1,889 Posts
I don't know if this belongs here, but I have a quick question about meeting with a psychiatrist. Last time I saw mine he told me to make an appointment a month from that day (yeah tell the kid with SA to call). I can't swallow my pills and don't get to practice all that often because my roommate is almost always around so I haven't been taking them. Should I even bother making that appointment or just wait until I'm regularly taking the medicine? I felt like such an idiot last time I met with him and told him I couldn't swallow them. He acted as if I was the first person that has ever told him that.
i didn't learn to swallow pills for a long time. you just have to practice. put the pill on the back of your tongue and take a huge gulp of water. sometimes the pill doesn't go down that way and you have to try again, but as long as the pill isn't that big it shouldn't be too hard once you've tried a few times.

i'd go ahead and call at least. ask if you should make the appointment now or wait until you start taking the medication.

·
Suit up!
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies! I've been trying with Tic Tacs, but I always seem to panic. I was just opening the capsules up and putting them in applesauce, but now that my dosage has been increased it's too unbearable to do that.

I just don't get to practice all that much cause my roommate is almost always here and I don't want to be gagging with her around.

·
taking a break from SAS
1,408 Posts
If I was in your place, I would try and talk to the doctor about this on the phone instead of making an appt. because i feel this problem can be handled over the phone.
I don't know your particular situation but as psych. visits tend to be expensive, you could save money this way.
At any rate, I hope you find a solution.

·
Suit up!
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seeing my psychiatrist is free because it's through the student health center at school. I think I'm required to go in and meet with him too, which seems sort of silly sometimes because I'm usually only there for 5 or 10 minutes.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Thanks for the replies! I've been trying with Tic Tacs, but I always seem to panic. I was just opening the capsules up and putting them in applesauce, but now that my dosage has been increased it's too unbearable to do that.

I just don't get to practice all that much cause my roommate is almost always here and I don't want to be gagging with her around.
Most people tend to get used to it, given time. I can gulp down about 6 medium-sized supplement capsules in one go before reaching and breaching the gag threshold. Yes, I am very proud :p.

·
Suit up!
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Most people tend to get used to it, given time. I can gulp down about 6 medium-sized supplement capsules in one go before reaching and breaching the gag threshold. Yes, I am very proud :p.
Wow that's crazy! I have such a huge fear of suffocating for some reason so I've always been afraid of swallow pills. The other day I accidentally swallowed a chip without chewing all the way and went into panic mode the second I feel it going down.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Make sure you aren't tipping your head back when you swallow. People tend to do that because they feel like it helps, but it's the opposite. Keep your head level or even tipped very slightly down, it makes it easier.

Could you try just sticking the whole pill in a spoonful of pudding or something and swallowing it that way? Putting it in a slippery food might help.

I'm another who can't imagine having such a hard time with pills! I've dry-swallowed 2 Tylenol, 2 ibuprofen, and an antibiotic at once before :D .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.