Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

This is my first post on here. I have had social anxiety and severe depression for the past 5-6 years. After an inpatient treatment center, I am doing much, much better and am ready to get on with my life. My next step is to get reintegrated into social life. But this is tougher than it used to be. I am 24 so no longer in college where social opportunities are all over the place. In addition, I've pretty much been holed up in my room for the past five years so I don't really have any friends anymore. Right now I'm staying with my parents in a new city (they moved while I was in college), so I don't know anyone at all here. I've been doing exposure-type goals to get used to being in public again - stuff like going out shopping, coffee shops, etc. and I feel comfortable being in public now.

It's much harder, however, to make friends again. I've been starting out by looking for local groups with interest similar to my own, using sites like meetup.com. I've gone to few and have met a few people. I've also been looking into volunteer opportunities. My problem so far is that while there are other people at these things, there have been very, very few people my age. Most are in their early 30's at youngest, and while that's not a huge difference, it's not insignificant. Does anyone have suggestions for better ways to meet people my own age (young 20-somethings)?

Thanks,
Luke

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey Luke, welcome to :sas

Good to hear you are making progress, I wish I had some advice but I'm still working on getting out more myself.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Go back to college and take some classes for fun, I'm taking public speaking and beginning acting and enjoying myself :) I've also made new friends.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Join an ametuer sports group, I think it's mostly young people who do that sort of thing. I've been thinking of doing that for a while.

·
Quo
101 Posts
I've been at university for two years and I was going to join the Jazz society at my university to try and find a common topic of interest and shock horror, actually meet people, but I'm only just getting into it and I'm not a classically trained musician (I have a very basic grasp of music theory) so I feel a bit pretentious when listening. I joined a Good Food society in my first year but it turned out to be a "Palestine vs. Israel" discussion forum. 90% of the other societies are countries, religions or sports (wanted to join Cricket but it's only for good players).

It's a sort of inferiority complex really, if people start banging on about augmented ninths and modal structures I'd feel insecure because I couldn't contribute, this puts me off joining, even though it's something I would like to do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts