Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So now that I'm starting to feel a little better on my new anti-depressant/anti-anxiety (Celexa)-

My new dilemma is this- it's summer time and I'm taking an online class (another great way to avoid ppl b4 being on medicine):

How to meet new people? how to make some friends?
I don't know if there's really any in people support groups I could find in my area. :( Any ideas from anyone? I don't like to party. I have a church I already go to but it's very small. I don't want to change. What other ways could I be around some people and have some small interaction without getting overwhelmed?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I guess it depends on where you live, but meetup.com has been a great resource for me. On this website you can find groups of people with interests/situations similar to your own. They have groups for everything from hobbies that you enjoy to conditions that you suffer from (such as social anxiety). These groups then get together, or "meetup", on a regular basis, whether it's weekly, monthly, etc. It has been a great way for me to meet people for several reasons. It's low or no cost. These are people who you are immediately going to have things in common with, so it's easier to start conversations and connect. And these are people like you who are trying to get out there, have some fun, and meet new people. There are generally more groups near larger cities, but everywhere is different. I definitely recommend checking it out! Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I had a good session with my counselor today and she had the good idea of referring me to the local newspaper to look for groups and support groups in there. There are actually a lot of resources in the newspaper! For all kinds of groups. I found one called Emotions Anonymous in a nearby town here- and it's for depression and anxiety disorders. I'm super excited about it!!! Can't wait to go. Meet-up didn't show many choices around here. Better to look in the newspaper or online on the local newspaper site for listings of groups for a better idea of what's going on in your area. :) Thank you for your ideas. All volunteering is a great idea, except there are not many volunteer opportunities around here either. Silly small town. :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts