Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to cope with SA using meditation? I understand you most likely cant do it in public, but if you do it at home maybe it will give you better mental focus and strength for the regular day. From numerous readings and videos meditation is about focusing on the present moment and catching yourself when your mind starts to wander. Usually my SA starts to bother me when my head starts to wander and conjure thoughts and beliefs that don't truly exist about the outside world ( mainly other people's perception of me). Any thoughts/ suggestions? Anyone want to try it and post there experiences on the thread?? I've been thinking about trying it but idk why I don't. Guess I'd rather spend a half an hour surfing the Internet mindlessly than trying something that might actually help me.

·
ΓΤΖΜ
3,732 Posts
A technique that I actually used once or twice in the past when I had to go to a class that made me nervous was: focus on my fast-beating heart and observe it and think about how it's not actually me, it's just a state of my body and a sensation so I should look at it separately from who I am which is unchanging. You know, like I'm the mountain and the symptoms are the snow or the rain or some s*** like that.

Strangely enough, even without having any practise, it did help but I have no way of knowing if it was placebo or anything. Still, it stands to reason that if you learn to focus your attention to something with efficiency, you may be able to lower your anxiety that way.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts