Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
sad panda
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried it? There's a buddhist center nearby, and I think I'll drop by tomorrow to check out their weekly meditation classes. This is also one of my ideas of meeting interesting guys :p

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
I tried it on and off for a few years in a few of the many different forms of it. I think it helped me relax, but it's never something that I felt was right for me. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I'd bet there are some people on here who do it regularly?

·
Registered
984 Posts
It helps me a lot but actually sitting down and forcing myself to do it is difficult. Taking meditation classes might be a good idea if you don't have the motivation to learn it yourself. There are many different forms of meditation as well some spiritual, some enlightening, some for relaxation etc you have to find what is right for you.

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
Taking meditation classes might be a good idea if you don't have the motivation to learn it yourself.
This is a good idea. I've heard of a mindfulness/meditation group in my area that I've considered going to. I think it would be good to have someone you can ask questions, but for someone with social anxiety, it may be hard to get in a meditative state when surrounded by people.

·
Born Of Blotmonað
19,131 Posts
I meditate but I've not been to classes for it or researched the many different types. I find it to be very peaceful but I'm not sure of it's influence on my anxiety. As mentioned a class may be a good way to get into it but I always say it's like anything spiritual in nature, you have to want to do it

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have tried to meditate before.. I find it so hard to focus on my breathing because my mind always drifts off somewhere else.. I can't help it though.. I'm a day dreamer.. :).. I don't really think it's for me but I still would like to successfully do it and know what it feels like before I decide if in fact it is or isn't for me.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I have tried to meditate before.. I find it so hard to focus on my breathing because my mind always drifts off somewhere else.. I can't help it though.. I'm a day dreamer.. :).. I don't really think it's for me but I still would like to successfully do it and know what it feels like before I decide if in fact it is or isn't for me.
There are other meditations you can do if you have difficulty with the breathing ones. You can focus on a word instead while you breathe (like peace, om, love, god, etc) or simply sit and focus on everything, including your daydreams and discomfort. The last one works best for me.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Anytime I've tried, I get to this point where my head feels really weird like it's buzzing and I stop... because it's weird. I don't think I'll ever get into the meditation stuff.

·
Born Of Blotmonað
19,131 Posts
I often find that people think meditation is about making yourself be calm enough to reach an inner quiet/peace but for me in order to get to those moments I must allow my thoughts/feelings to run wild until they've exhausted themselves, then they come. Sometimes in those moments I will turn myself on some mantras other times I won't

In these fast paced times I do understand it's very hard for many people to sit with themselves & their thoughts long enough to find peace in it though

·
Registered
516 Posts
I've been meditating pretty consistently for about a year now (heh, its hard to believe its been a year). And I have to say it has changed me, and not in some kind of weird way that many people associate with buddhist meditation. I practice mindfulness meditation, which seems to be what almost all meditation is at its core. There are various names for it like vipassana meditation, but it all comes down to essentially the same thing imo.

When I first started I thought I was going to become some kind of weird meditator that's disconnected from reality. But as I've practiced more and more the idea of mindfulness has started to make more and more sense to me. And I'm starting to realize that mindfulness is becoming more connected with reality and more in tune with what is really there.

I can easily write a lot more about mindfulness. But I think I'll just answer your initial question by saying that I would definitely recommend giving meditation a try. Its going to require you to come in with a sense of openness, because it may take you a while to "get it". But once you begin to understand the concept you'll grow into it and I personally never went to any meditation classes, as my SA has held me back for quite some time, but now I would be willing to try a meditation class if I could find one.

·
sad panda
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input everyone! Well, I didn't go tonight, since one of my friends is moving away tomorrow and I wanted to hang out with her, and I had a ton of packing to do. I did feel a bit relieved to have excuses not to go though :p The idea of going alone was stressing me out. But its every thursday, so I think I will definately go next week.

Its definately something I've always wanted to try steadily, so I think I'm in the right mindset for it. Every week is also a talk about Buddhist ideals and self growth, which would be interesting anyways, and maybe help me out too. I'm not really a Buddhist, but I so much respect the religion.

I just hope I'll be able to benefit from it, and let go of the fact that I'm surrounded by other people.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I do "guided visualization" meditation, usually with a recording (aka going to my "happy place"). My therapist recommended it, and I don't think it has had muh impact on my anxiety, but it does help to reduce the physical and mental impacts of stress. There are some great meditation podcasts, some with music that stimulate different types of brain waves, you might want to check these out; just search for meditation in the iTunes store.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts