Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Deep breathing meditations are usually endorsed by psychologist for anxiety... you can look them up online, the point is to have this as a type of learned behavior you can do when you see anxious situations coming to calm yourself down, you can start doing the exercises in public after you have mastered doing them alone. It is also described as "the proper way to breathe" and has medical benefits.

Like most meditations though it is hard for people like us to follow through and actually do them long enough to have any benefit. Sitting in a dark room and concentrating on your breathing for 15 minutes instead of your panicky thoughts is tough.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
I read a meditation technique where you just close your eyes and take deep breaths. When you breathe in imagine your breathing in a clear pure light and when you breathe out you imagine a dirty negative energy leaving your body. I went through that with my sister when she was nervous about a job interview and she was like "wow, that really helped". I don't think you should write it off because your anxious that's what it's for lol takes practice though I guess I used to do it alot. Start with focusing on your breathing and letting your mind clear, don't try to stop thinking just let your thoughts pass freely through your mind and let them pass out don't try to explore them. Candles are good too, when you're home at least lol, feel like you're breathing in the light of the candle.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I tried meditation before and I've tried to focus on my breathing, but my mind just drifts away. I read somewhere that "Lucid Dreaming" can help with anxiety.. But I rarely have Lucid dream........ Instead I try hard to control my breathing so that I don't begin to panic and I repeat to myself, "It's all in your head, no one is judging you.. Why should you care if they do?"

·
Born Of Blotmonað
19,285 Posts
A few things here:

1. Sit in a comfortable position or lay flat on your back

2. Take deep breathes

3. Mantras:
- One I use is "Acknowledge & Release":
I will acknowledge negative thoughts/feelings when breathing in, then try to "release" them negative feelings when breathing out
- Another I use is "Love & Compassion"
"love" when breathing in, "compassion" when breathing

Use whatever works for you

4. Let thoughts flow, the only way to find those moments of calm is to let your thoughts exhaust themselves. For me moments of calm don't happen every session but they do come and are very peaceful

5. Lengthen sessions gradually, a 20 minute session will seem like hell in this multitasking, fast distraction society early on

This is what I recommend based on my experience. I haven't read up much on it or looked into different types much yet as I believe at lot of it is personal. I plan to in the future though, currently I'm trying to make a regular habit of it.

You may also want to look into some basic yoga & trade off between the 2, it's what I do

1 - 8 of 8 Posts