Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just always find this stuff interesting, and relatively important. We all take our meds........and people need to realize that mane of the meds we take are protein binding, enzyme affected meds. Taking some meds with/or after a meal can actually significiantly effect their overall bioavailability and effectiveness.

This is just one example(I've been researching it a bit as I started taking it about 1 month ago; but I could literally tell a difference when I took it with food for a 3 day period as it seemd to not be "working" and made me more moody, whatever. Anyway, while it doesn't give specific pecentages to the differences, it's just one quick example that many of our meds could be affected by this......so many times you want to dose in the morning at least 30minutes before breakfast; while other meds are meant to be taken with food.

Just my 2 cents :D

Department of Pharmaceutics, Delhi Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, New Delhi, India

"BACKGROUND AND OBJECTIVE: Lamotrigine is a relatively newer antiepileptic drug used in the treatment of partial seizures. It has a narrow therapeutic index and hence the achieved blood level of the drug is closely related to the therapeutic efficacy and toxicity. The bioavailability of lamotrigine is affected by food, hence the present study was done to investigate the effect of two types of food on the bioavailability of lamotrigine. METHODS: A randomized, open-label, three treatment, three period, single dose and cross-over study was done in nine healthy male volunteers. A single dose of lamotrigine (100 mg) was administered at three occasions: after a north Indian diet (high calorie, high fat), after a south Indian diet (low calorie, low fat), and after an overnight fasting. Serial blood samples were collected up to 24 h post dose. Plasma lamotrigine concentrations were determined and pharmacokinetic parameters studied. RESULTS: A statistically significant decrease in rate and extent of absorption was observed with north Indian diet and south Indian diet when compared with fasting group. Presence of both types of food causes decrease in mean values of C(max), AUC((0-t)), and AUC((0-alpha)) thus reducing the bioavailability of lamotrigine at significant level (P<0.05). INTERPRETATION AND CONCLUSION: Lamotrigine should be taken preferably in fasting condition, as presence of food (low fat, low calorie or high fat, high calorie) decreases the bioavailability to a significant extent."

PMID: 15937369 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

·
Registered
19 Posts
i know if i dont take my meds with food in the morning than it makes me feel sick, but i dunno about the efectiveness of it... i might have to try what you did and see if i can tell a difference

·
Registered
324 Posts
A lot of meds are affected by food or specific foods. For example, some do not work if you drink grapefruit juice. But sometimes the effects are small or not backed up by enough experimental results. Just because you find one study doesn't mean an interaction is scientifically established. The best thing is to carefully read those colored stick-on labels on the medicine bottle.

·
UnDeRrAtED
34,712 Posts
Benzos I take under my tongue for a stronger faster effect.
I remember taking some of those in a private hospital really cool. I cant get them from a doctor though so I stay with the traditional kind.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts