Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went away recently and forgot to take my medication with me. After a few days I began feeling quite nauseous and more intensly depressed and i had terrible trouble sleeping. I kept waking up throughout the night with a jump and found i was covered in a cold sweat everytime i woke up. I only got back today to take my meds again so am not sure how i'll sleep tonight but i was just wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this, does this sound like it could be some kind of withdrawel from not taking my meds. I don't want to be on medication forever, is this something i'm going to have to deal with when i do finally come off them.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
It probably was withdrawal. Just for your info, withdrawals from SSRIs usually take around 1 month of that horrible depressing feeling before they ease.

·
ThirdEyeGrind
1,284 Posts
I went away recently and forgot to take my medication with me. After a few days I began feeling quite nauseous and more intensly depressed and i had terrible trouble sleeping. I kept waking up throughout the night with a jump and found i was covered in a cold sweat everytime i woke up. I only got back today to take my meds again so am not sure how i'll sleep tonight but i was just wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this, does this sound like it could be some kind of withdrawel from not taking my meds. I don't want to be on medication forever, is this something i'm going to have to deal with when i do finally come off them.
What medication(s) did you forget to take?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yes, but tapering off deliberately will be much easier. You went cold turkey accidentally. Improve your nutrition now so when you do taper off you'll be positioned for a successful taper.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Prozac is the SSRI with the longest half-life and the easiest to withdraw.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Prozac is the SSRI with the longest half-life and the easiest to withdraw.
That's what I was going to say but he beat me to it.

Paxil has the shortest half-life of any SSRI and is thus the one most infamous for withdrawal issues (though I've never personally had any problem stopping any SSRI or other drug). Have never really tried to stop my Xanax -- suspect that would be a problem.

·
Guided By Voices
2,396 Posts

Paxil has the shortest half-life of any SSRI and is thus the one most infamous for withdrawal issues (though I've never personally had any problem stopping any SSRI or other drug). Have never really tried to stop my Xanax -- suspect that would be a problem.
Yeah after taking how many mgs. for how many yrs.? I wonder how long it would take you to taper off of it UltraShy?

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Yeah after taking how many mgs. for how many yrs.? I wonder how long it would take you to taper off of it UltraShy?
I've taken various benzos on an almost daily basis for the last 6 years. It's been 10 mg of Xanax a day on average for the last few years. I figured that my total Xanax intake has a bit over 7,000 2mg bars thus far.

·
Guided By Voices
2,396 Posts
I've taken various benzos on an almost daily basis for the last 6 years. It's been 10 mg of Xanax a day on average for the last few years. I figured that my total Xanax intake has a bit over 7,000 2mg bars thus far.
Have you ever lowered the dose to see what wouid happen?Do you plan on being on such a high amount indefinatley?I would assume you don't get them through one doctor.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Have you ever lowered the dose to see what wouid happen?
Not really. I can tell you that there has been no escalation of dose in years now. And it's not as if I've replaced benzos with anything else. In fact, my alcohol intake had very clearly gone down this year. While my Xanax dose is high it's not as if I pop them like tic tacs -- I wouldn't have 500 tablets stockpiled if I was into consuming everything in sight.

Do you plan on being on such a high amount indefinatley?
I really don't know what to do any more.

I would assume you don't get them through one doctor.
I get them from ONE psychiatrist that I first met in late 2003. He has no problem with the idea of keeping me on 10 mg a day indefinitely. Actually, he has a panic patient that's been on 12 mg a day for 20 years so I'm not even his top benzo consumer.

·
Registered
544 Posts

Have you came off Effexor? If so tell me how.:b

I've been on paxil and successfully came off it, but nothing compares to the withdrawals of Effexor for me.:(

Sorry to hijack, but since we're talking about withdrawals I saw an opportunity for some info.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Have you came off Effexor? If so tell me how.:b

I've been on paxil and successfully came off it, but nothing compares to the withdrawals of Effexor for me.:(

Sorry to hijack, but since we're talking about withdrawals I saw an opportunity for some info.
He takes a large amount of benzos, which appear to prevent quite a lot of effects from SSRIs (and thus, withdrawals).

·
Equilibrian Epicurius
1,028 Posts
I get them from ONE psychiatrist that I first met in late 2003. He has no problem with the idea of keeping me on 10 mg a day indefinitely. Actually, he has a panic patient that's been on 12 mg a day for 20 years so I'm not even his top benzo consumer.
Psychiatrists who prescribe alprazolam for all-day anxiolysis have me confused. Using a short-acting benzo over a long-acting one in this case doesn't seem like the best treatment decision. A more sensible plan for your situation would be to take two doses of clonazepam per day.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I had withdrawals like that when I came off Paxil one time and Zoloft the other. At first I felt good from skipping 1 or 2 days, like the fog and tiredness had lifted, but then came the effects of withdrawals. It takes some time getting used to, there are some things you can use to help combat them, like benadryl.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts