Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
New mum to summer rose
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So since becoming pregnant :boogieI have needed to increase my dose of effexor to 300mg from 225mg as I got pretty suicidal and rather manic, so much so that the psychiatric nurses had to come for a visit and give me Seroquel to calm me down and stop me throwing up since I was not eating and was losing weight from morning sickness.

I have spoken to my doctor, my psychiatrist and my friend who has three children under three and took fluoxetine and seroquel in high doses during pregnancy and they all said its SAFE and my friends kids are fine. However different sites say different things too.

Effexor has no known adverse effects on the foetus but in high doses (100 times the normal consumption level for humans) it proved toxic in pregnant rats causing heart and weight problems and seroquel in lethal doses caused still birth, increased miscarriage risk and slowed down brain function.

those tests were in rats and were taken at astronomical levels:eek::eek:
however I still worry.
My doc said zopiclone is okay to take once a night too but I have been very careful with it and was hoping to wait until the second trimester once the baby has formed before taking them

my fear is that despite being told they are reasonably safe, I still feel guilty. Also withdrawing from medication will pregnant is just as dangerous too. I tried to withdraw before becoming pregnant and was really ill so I guess its a matter of benefits outweighing risk

The only known drugs to cause birth defects and long term damage are benzos and mood stabilizers

Is there anyone who knows anything about this?

·
Banned
201 Posts
I see ads all the time about lawsuits for these medications and I thought effexor was one, concerning birth defects and the first site that came up when I googled it was http://www.effexorbirthdefect.com/

I know someone right now who is pregnant and I thought that was one of her meds, even though she is manic right now they refuse to give her meds due to birth development issues. I'd say your doctor though is weighing out that you yourself could not handle life without the medication.

Pregnant or not, its a calculated risk as all of the medications have side affects so it is a battle of what is the lesser of two evils. Do you trust your doctor?

·
New mum to summer rose
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I guess, yeah I know about all those "horror" sites and alot of the time its parents looking to place blame on something or someone for their childs defect. Nowadays you can detect most deformations and malformations via ultra sound scan so these stories about women who's children just came out deformed are fickle as there needs to be evidence to suggest that measures were taken to try and prevent it happening and the fact that my friend was on two strong medications including fluoxetine which is also meant to be linked to autism and her kids are healthy, talkative and bright makes me think its a mixed bag and I pray I am one of the lucky ones

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Imo

I would take no risk with my unborn child and get off everything. Will be hard on you but at least your child will not be harmed. This is def one of those 'better play it safe' moments.

·
Registered
727 Posts
congrats on the pregnancy
i honestly don't know what to say.

theres always gonna be 'horror story' sites about drugs like these
just have faith that nothing is gonna happen which i doubt anything will. just get your baby checked often before giving birth, let us know how it all goes!

·
MEAT POPSICLE
857 Posts
I say LISTEN to your doctors! They are the ones with the medical degrees, and I really do not think they would allow you to continue a med regiment that was going to harm either you or your baby!!! They know the risks of each med and it sounds like they communicate with each other also, so that you are getting the best care!! So I would listen to the doctors, all will be fine!!
And if you went cold turkey and got off all meds for the duration of your pregnancy you would become ill and that would be a greater risk to the baby since they can pick up on the mothers stress.
So know you are in good hands and continue doing what they say.
I am always on, so feel free to message me anytime at all!!
I took meds with my pregnancy and my son is just fine!!! :)

·
baclofen enthusiast
2,748 Posts
it's a difficult situation... you're keeping your baby but at the same time you cannot stop the meds... I'm with you

·
Banned
5 Posts
I don't really know what to tell you. I went off of all my meds when i got pregnant but if you think you can't go without them then thats up to you. It's your baby and your body. There's always some kind of risk with taking meds while pregnant.

·
New mum to summer rose
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks everyone and to Super yeah its pretty surreal actually.
Well we had the 12 and a half week scan and the baby is perfect, no limb or heart problems and no risk of down syndrome or kidney and liver problems so the effexor at this stage obviously did not harm the foetal growth

Well I did try to stop the effexor and became rather manic and suicidal so in came the psych team, I guess if its severe enough then its better to stay on them, its all well and good to say "stop taking them" but withdrawals can harm the baby too and untreated severe depression often leads to erratic behaviour such as wanting to drink and smoke and take illicit drugs which I was tempted to do when I tried to taper off.

Its a risk and benefit thing I guess

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
hI arisa. How's the pregnancy coming? Personally, I would drop all the meds via a quick taper as the baby would come first for me, no matter how much suffering I had to go through in order to give it the best possible chance at being born healthy. However, many babies have been born to parents who took various drugs and turned out fine. There are many drugs which do not do serious harm to the fetus and a lot of the concerns are "better safe than sorry" scenarios. I would however, try to avoid the zopiclonde as much as possible. Once in a while probably won't hurt but you don't want the baby to be born addicted to multiple drugs. What a way to come into this world! Anyway, good luck with your baby, I hope it turns out healthy and strong.

I say LISTEN to your doctors! They are the ones with the medical degrees, and I really do not think they would allow you to continue a med regiment that was going to harm either you or your baby!!! They know the risks of each med and it sounds like they communicate with each other also, so that you are getting the best care!! So I would listen to the doctors, all will be fine!!
And if you went cold turkey and got off all meds for the duration of your pregnancy you would become ill and that would be a greater risk to the baby since they can pick up on the mothers stress.
So know you are in good hands and continue doing what they say.
I am always on, so feel free to message me anytime at all!!
I took meds with my pregnancy and my son is just fine!!! :)
I know this thread is old but I had to respond to this post because it is so incredibly ignorant. Despite their medical degrees, doctors disagree with each other and prescribe drugs which harm their patients all the time. How blind do you have to be to think that something is safe just because a doctor prescribes it? Haven't you seen all the commercials on TV where people are entitled to some compensation for the damage done to them by medication prescribed by their doctor? Arisa was smart to post here.

·
Spectacular Member
21,089 Posts
hI arisa. How's the pregnancy coming? Personally, I would drop all the meds via a quick taper as the baby would come first for me, no matter how much suffering I had to go through in order to give it the best possible chance at being born healthy. However, many babies have been born to parents who took various drugs and turned out fine. There are many drugs which do not do serious harm to the fetus and a lot of the concerns are "better safe than sorry" scenarios. I would however, try to avoid the zopiclonde as much as possible. Once in a while probably won't hurt but you don't want the baby to be born addicted to multiple drugs. What a way to come into this world! Anyway, good luck with your baby, I hope it turns out healthy and strong.

I know this thread is old but I had to respond to this post because it is so incredibly ignorant. Despite their medical degrees, doctors disagree with each other and prescribe drugs which harm their patients all the time. How blind do you have to be to think that something is safe just because a doctor prescribes it? Haven't you seen all the commercials on TV where people are entitled to some compensation for the damage done to them by medication prescribed by their doctor? Arisa was smart to post here.
Exactly, people are fools to think doctors are all knowing gods.

·
Registered
501 Posts
The real question you should be asking yourself is how your going to raise that baby when your bipolar and suicidal. Psychiatric drug damage is nothing compared to the effects mentally ill parents can have.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Porterdog:1059984157 said:
The real question you should be asking yourself is how your going to raise that baby when your bipolar and suicidal. Psychiatric drug damage is nothing compared to the effects mentally ill parents can have.
I think it's kind of uncalled for to say something like this. You'd be surprised what moms can do even with mental illness. If someone said that to me while I was pregnant it would be hurtful. You don't know what kind of mom she will be. There are many moms out there that are wonderful parents that suffer from mental illness. I'm one of them.

Anyway, I took Prozac and low dose xanax throughout my pregnancy. Yes, the benefits outweighed the risks. Its a personal choice. But I needed to be mentally stable especially with those crazy extra hormones running through you. My son is now a happy healthy 4 month old and never had any problems. I'm also in a group on fb with moms and half of them were on anti depressants...all of their babies are healthy. I believe your Dr would not continue you on these meds if they didn't think it was the best option for you. Whether people believe it or not, they are there for you and want to help you. They aren't going to put your unborn baby in danger.
I researched a lot on this. But it's also my opinion.
Congratulations momma :) I hope you are doing well!

Edit: just realized this was posted in December, oh well...wonder if she's still around.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I think it's kind of uncalled for to say something like this. You'd be surprised what moms can do even with mental illness. If someone said that to me while I was pregnant it would be hurtful. You don't know what kind of mom she will be. There are many moms out there that are wonderful parents that suffer from mental illness. I'm one of them.
I think it is completely called for. My mum was bipolar and to this day i wish she never made the decision to give birth to me, and i know alot of other people who are the same. I dont know a single happy person with mentally ill parents.

Im not saying if your mildy depressed or socially anxious your going to mess your kid up, but when she's saying shes manic and suicidal and on a ton of meds, i cant help but think its a bit selfish for her to bring a child into this world when she cant really handle it herself.

Sorry if thats offensive but yeah, im quite offended by her post myself.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Porterdog:1059987792 said:
I think it is completely called for. My mum was bipolar and to this day i wish she never made the decision to give birth to me, and i know alot of other people who are the same. I dont know a single happy person with mentally ill parents.

Im not saying if your mildy depressed or socially anxious your going to mess your kid up, but when she's saying shes manic and suicidal and on a ton of meds, i cant help but think its a bit selfish for her to bring a child into this world when she cant really handle it herself.

Sorry if thats offensive but yeah, im quite offended by her post myself.
I understand what you are saying. I was also very unstable when I got pregnant (wasn't planned and was on birth control). I'm diagnosed with a load of things but I know I'm doing the best I can and I believe I'm a good mom.
Its not easy, its hard as hell.
I'm sorry you had to go through a hard time with your mom, I really am. And I'm sorry, you have a right to your own opinion, I didn't mean to step on any toes.
Even though I am mentally ill, I'll do everything to give my son the best life he can have. It saddens me about the comment you made about not knowing anyone that is happy that had a mentally unstable parent.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts