Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm off Prozac and Remeron in my attempt to try Nardil. From those who have tried Prozac and Nardil, are they alike? I ask this because if you've been following my other posts, I'm a good responder, or at least used to be, to Prozac. I was under the impression that Prozac was a good substitute in some ways, mostly side effects, to the MAOIs, so I'm assuming they're similar in effect? I.e. more apt to help in atypical depression, help sensitivity issues, self-confidence boosting, etc.?

Any help would be wonderful. Thanks guys...:D

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
db0255: Did you find that when you were on prozac and mirtazapine together, that mirtazapine reversed some of prozacs side effects like sexual dysfunction and insomnia?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
db0255: Did you find that when you were on prozac and mirtazapine together, that mirtazapine reversed some of prozacs side effects like sexual dysfunction and insomnia?
yeah, to some degree. Although, Prozac affects me differently than others. The big thing I noticed was that Remeron cancelled out the lethargy, yawning, somnolescence that Prozac gave me. Sexual dysfunction, it helped a bit. And insomnia, not really, because the side effects of sleepiness with Remeron faded a while ago.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I would have thought the mixing mirtazapine with fluoxetine might have caused a bit of trouble, since mirtazapine is metabolized via CYP-1A2, CYP-2D6, and CYP-3A. Whilst fluoxetine is an inhibitor of CYP-2D6, CYP-3A4 and mildly CYP-1A2. *shrugs*

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would have thought the mixing mirtazapine with fluoxetine might have caused a bit of trouble, since mirtazapine is metabolized via CYP-1A2, CYP-2D6, and CYP-3A. Whilst fluoxetine is an inhibitor of CYP-2D6, CYP-3A4 and mildly CYP-1A2. *shrugs*
Yeah one big shrug. It was a weird combination, I'll give you that. My pdoc said that it's not usually used, but when the risk is accepted and the benefits outweigh it, it can be used together. I really like my pdoc as he's not afraid to try all options, and doesn't back away from certain medications (stimulants, benzos, maois).

Although one potential trouble spot I noticed was that my blood pressure was unusually high. Not sure if that has to do with Prozac, Remeron, or the combination of both of them.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Although one potential trouble spot I noticed was that my blood pressure was unusually high. Not sure if that has to do with Prozac, Remeron, or the combination of both of them.
How high?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I'm new to this site. I got to you by something you had posted elsewhere. I'm trying to help my 80 year old friend who has chronic anxiety. Her Dr put her on zoloft & she said it gave her loose stools. Then Paxil. She did fabulus on low dose Paxil & then the DR upped it & she turned into a zombie. I complained & she stopped it. As it was coming out of her system she was great again. So now she is full of anxiety again.

So she & I agreed that she would ask the Dr for just the low dose of Paxil again. We both hate the Fluoride in it. We're both careful about drinking good water.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
795 Posts
Hi, I'm new to this site. I got to you by something you had posted elsewhere. I'm trying to help my 80 year old friend who has chronic anxiety. Her Dr put her on zoloft & she said it gave her loose stools. Then Paxil. She did fabulus on low dose Paxil & then the DR upped it & she turned into a zombie. I complained & she stopped it. As it was coming out of her system she was great again. So now she is full of anxiety again.

So she & I agreed that she would ask the Dr for just the low dose of Paxil again. We both hate the Fluoride in it. We're both careful about drinking good water.

Any suggestions?
if all she had on zoloft was loose stool,s why complain.:um

·
Registered
795 Posts
Yeah one big shrug. It was a weird combination, I'll give you that. My pdoc said that it's not usually used, but when the risk is accepted and the benefits outweigh it, it can be used together. I really like my pdoc as he's not afraid to try all options, and doesn't back away from certain medications (stimulants, benzos, maois).

NARDIL you have blood pressure, an you want to kill yourself with nardil, jesus why would you want to take a med that had food restrictions, massive side effect,s. Real bad interactions an is for cronic depression , LIKE ITS ONE ONE OF THE LAST CHANCE SALOON MEDS.:eek:

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
NARDIL you have blood pressure, an you want to kill yourself with nardil, jesus why would you want to take a med that had food restrictions, massive side effect,s. Real bad interactions an is for cronic depression , LIKE ITS ONE ONE OF THE LAST CHANCE SALOON MEDS.:eek:
Nardil actually lowers blood pressure generally. It only goes up if people eat food with tyramine in it, which is a bad idea.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Nardil actually lowers blood pressure generally. It only goes up if people eat food with tyramine in it, which is a bad idea.
mabye, but he has blood pressure, an english doc would not even give you this med , ulless you were at death door. an with blood presures its suicide by cop. These meds are for people who are insain ,in hospital long term an monitor them, an people in a really bad way. You would need a shrink nurse appointment every week for months in england to moitor reaction, H.T F do you get on meds like this for SE :eek:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts