Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 26 and I spent 7 years drinking because it was the only way I knew how to cope with my anxiety. In the last year I just started going back to school and got sober. This summer I finally got a job, which I'm still in shock about. I've only worked 4 days so far, and I start work at 2pm, but every day from the time I get up untill I get to work I get really bad cramps and have diarreah from being so freaking anxious about working. I always sit and tell myself that I'm going to quit and that I can't handle the job, it's in a daycare, and I have never worked in a daycare and they just stuck me in my own class with 7 kids ages 3-4. It's very overwelming and I constantly worry about every single freaking thing. I love children but I only have experience as a nanny, not with multiple kids, but anyways, I'm just freaking out, :afr is this normal to just want to resort to quitting my job, did anyone else go through this with there first job? Any advice?
Thanks for listening :b

·
Registered
46 Posts
yup, my job was super stressful when i first started out, i dunno i guess it got easier with time when i got more comfortable with the routin. but a room with a bunch of 3-4 year olds? yikes, that does sound pretty stressful.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a bad record with job stress -- especially when I was younger and doing things like waiting tables, cleaning, whatever. For a long time I bounced from one low-paying job to another while I got through school. If it got too stressful, I quit.

Then, I decided I wanted to go graduate school. And I knew I needed some teaching experience to get funding, and I also knew that I couldn't handle a huge amount of stress -- so I got a job as a substitute teacher in a gang-riddled urban neighborhood! Smart me! hehe.

Anyway, it took me a little while to realize it, but once I came to the conclusion that I was in control of whatever happened in that classroom -- that it was my classroom and I would run the show and that was that -- something sort of happened.

I became able to deal with the stress of the awful public schools, and started standing up for myself. Like when a student peed in the trash can because I wouldn't let him go to the bathroom two seconds after the bell rang. The principal would take him out of the room, so I had to storm down there and freak out on the principal, who immediately removed him.

No way in hell I could have done that before I had my little revelation about the classroom. So maybe, if you start to make the room yours somehow, make decisions about what the kids will do, or bring art or other things that are kid-friendly but that also make you comfortable. Do whatever -- just take a deep breath and try to make it _your_ space. Does that make sense? When I was teaching at the uni during grad school, I used to do stuff like set up my desk up a certain way and make my students wait while I did it so that I was comfortable in the room before I had to open my mouth and start talking.

They wouldn't have given you a classroom of kids if they didn't think you could handle it. I think you can handle it too. And remember, too, kids are kids -- they do silly stuff and stuff they shouldn't. You can't say you're responsible for every little thing, facutally, because there's always the X factor of a kid doing something totally stupid -- like drinking puddle water. I've seen that one too :).

Good luck. I hope it works out for you.

Esby

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OMG! thank you so much! I really can do it! I know I can, the sad thing is, is that I called in sick today and I plan on talking to my boss tomorrow about my anxiety. I plan on telling her the truth, that I had a panic attack and wasn't able to come in, and let her know Im in between dr's right now and meds....is that a bad idea? I have this idea if they know what I'm going though they will workwith me, and if they don't then it's their loss, is that totally stupid?

·
Registered
625 Posts
skaredykat7,
Well, I hope things are going well now for you. I have worked at a daycare before and felt just like you. It definately is stressful, especially when it is a new experience for you. You can do it though. I think that talking to your boss is actually a pretty good idea. Most people would be understanding knowing that you are feeling nervous about the job. If you just say that you really want to do a good job and are feeling a bit nervous because of this, she will likely be willing to help you. Best of luck!
:banana

1 - 5 of 5 Posts