1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
MayTheForceBeWithYou
19,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Free Comic Book Day on Saturday
12:20 PM PT, May 1 2009

Source: free-comic-book-day-on-saturday-may-2

Thousands of free comic books will be given away Saturday at comic book shops across North America and abroad.

Logo Normally, giving away your merchandise is a bad move for a business, especially during a global economic downturn. But Free Comic Book Day, which lands on the first Saturday of May each year, is a bit different.

The industry-wide event, which officially began in 2002, has become a holiday of sorts for both lovers of graphic novels and illustrated literature.

Most comic book shops take part in the event, which over the last few years has spread to shops across the world. But, in case it's been awhile since you've been to your friendly neighborhood comic shop, www.freecomicbookday.com has a store finder online to help you figure out where to get your hands on a free book or two.

This year, special issues of Wolverine, The Savage Dragon, The Avengers, Sonic the Hedgehog, Love and Rockets, Transformers and G.I. Joe and many others will be given out. Also, a 25th anniversary reprint of the first issue of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comic book that led to the cartoon series and movie craze of the '80s and '90s will be given out as well.

Check out this video of Hugh Jackman, who plays Wolverine in "X-Men Origins: Wolverine," which opens today, talking about Free Comic Book Day and fighting illiteracy.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thank you for reminding me! They even had a sale going on! And my Absolute Watchmen came in! Just thinking about the sheer awesomeness of today calms meh.

Prepare for imminent glompage!

:squeeze

·
Viva La Raza!
34,841 Posts
the comic sho i went to had additional free comics besides the ones offered during FCMD. i forgot to pick up the gi joe and aspen issues though :( they also had both romitas, herb trimpe and klaus janson for signging. didnt stay for that though cause im not much of a signing fan

·
Pervy Ranger #8
772 Posts
Yeah, I went to a comic book store for the first time in ages in April and picked up a flyer about that for a reminder later and didn't I go and forget anyway? :/

·
Viva La Raza!
34,841 Posts
damn. also forgot to pick the savage dragon issue. now i have to go out and buy it. next year im taking a list with me and hop around stores until i get them all

·
giggling ******
11,070 Posts
too bad i avoid comic shops like the flu

1 - 7 of 7 Posts