Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for advice, reaction, etc

============

I really don't know what to do about my math situation.

The short version of it is, I am horrible at it.

It took me three years to get through two years of it in high school, and five attempts to pass the Regents. Even then, I only managed a 57, which singlehandedly prevented me from getting a highly-thought-of Regents diploma.

Then in college, I thought I only needed one math class ... and my advisor never told me different. But then I am hit with the bombshell that I need that one, plus two pre-reqs, because I didn't get a 65 or better on my Math Regents.

Well, I am in a low-level algebra class now ... and is likely going to either drop it or fail it. My first tutor quit on me, and then I tried to get one through school, and they told me I didn't meet TRIO requirements. To add to that, I'm just clueless in most of the lectures...

I don't know if this hinders me or not, but the way he teaches his class isn't really helpful for someone like me. I have math for three 50 minute periods a week. Each class, he'll teach for 25-30 minutes (though it's been as short as 15 min once) and the rest of the time is spent on group problems (usually 3-4) ... that are supposed to heighten your understanding while working with others.... well, not only do i not work well in groups (no shock...) ... I never get anything out of it. Most people are in a hurry to leave, so the one person who knows what he/she is doing does the work and the rest of us put our name on the paper .... sometimes i wonder if i would have fared better if i had a professor who used the entire class time to lecture/do examples.....

now if i fail this, i wont get my 2 yr til spring 07 .... when i should be getting my bachelors..... (besides math, in which my 9th grade math teacher said i was "hopeless" in, i am a 3.0 student.... but i just CANT do the math)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GED

Not sure why I would want to go for a GED when I'm already in college, but...

Here's 4 that are giving me big problems -

"Write an equation of the line that passes through the point and had the specified slope. Sketch the line."

(0, 10), m = negative 1/4
=============================
"Use the point-slope form to write an equation of a line that passes through the oiunt and has the specified slope. Sketch the line."

(0, 2), m = 3/5
==============================
"Write the point-slope form of the equation of the line."

(3, 1), m = 3/2
==========================
"Write an equation of the line that passes through the points. When possible, write the equation in slope-intercept form."

(6, -1), (3, 3)
=============================
"Write an equation of the line passing through the points"

(3, 5), (1, 6)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.