Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Jedi Consular
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's do this! :boogie

How about July, Aug, or Sept?

Where at? I don't care I'll drive anywhere and up for anything. Happy hour, eating out, billiards, poker, talking...so much to do anywhere here.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
How about late July or early August in DC-that way I can take the metro

·
Registered
604 Posts
Yay a group is finally set up. I can do sometime in late august for various reasons. I may not be able to make the first one but I will probably make the second meeting if there is one. I think it's best to meet in the middle (D.C.).

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
I'm down :)

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
I'm not far from D.C. Just tell me when.

·
Newly Optimistic
2,319 Posts
I'm up for any time, weekends preferably.

- Vince

·
Jedi Consular
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You guys are awesome!

Taking the step outside of your comfort zone...awesomeness to all! :clap

I am not busy this month and mid-August. Weekends are definitely best and weekdays are fine. This outie activity would be great to get us out of the house and having fun.

I know several places we could go w/o costing an arm and leg, and should be free.

In DC now they have free outdoor local rock bands once a week. I hear of them through the meetup.com email list.

Put on good walking shoes, we could walk around DC like Constitution Ave. I could bring blankets too if we find some grass, get away from traffic and people :no:).

The billiards at the Galaxy downtown Silver Spring...um...lots of people. Don't know. Bowling likely too many people.

The Smithsonian Zoo, National Art Gallery, Newseum, museums ?

Let me know if you could make it to any these dates. They're all weekends. 7/18-19, 7/25-26, 8/22-23, 8/29-30, 9/5-6, 9/12-13, 9/19-20, 9/26-27, and ongoing. Any of them works for me. If anyone wants to hang out on a weekday or week evening, I'm game. :boogie

·
Jedi Consular
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Let's do something 7/25-26

Meet up, hang out, talk is voluntary...we could meet at a meeting point. Doesn't have to be anything fancy or costing an arm & a leg. What do ya'll think about the Newseum off Constitution Ave.? At 1pm on 7/25. There's also a scavenger hunt at the National Zoo with the 20s and 30s Going Out group, there's a $20 fee. Starts @ 2pm. Whatever else works is fine.

Meeting points: MC campus, UMD campus, downtown Silver Spring, Newseum, anywhere along Constitution Ave,...?

·
Jedi Consular
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Let's do something this week 7/27 I'm wondering before I'm on vacation. I'll be back 8/12 could also do something on this week. PM me :boogie. I'm suggesting bowling, a movie, ... what u suggest? Could meet in public and/or my place oops if you're afraid then not! I could pick up anyone around the Beltway if you're already comfortable w/ me, haha, which I doubt! :D

note: Everytime I see a thread like this start, most of the time no one cares to come out only replying. I'll see how it goes.

·
Newly Optimistic
2,319 Posts
Ooh this week is kind of busy for me with work and a (jewish) holiday. Next week I'm going to visit my folks in Toronto. But I'd definitely be up for something the week after!

·
Jedi Consular
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yo

Sounds good, vicente! The week of Aug. 10 or the weekend, we all or some hehe could do something! Mini golf, movie, dining, bowling, ...we could meet in a public place, chat, and decide what ya'll want to do. I feel a thread like this could go on and on with nobody wanting to do something.

·
Newly Optimistic
2,319 Posts
Anyone want to do something this weekend?

Bowling?

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Wow I'd forgotten about this thread. I'm still interested for a gathering in D.C if anyone else is.

·
Registered
280 Posts
note: Everytime I see a thread like this start, most of the time no one cares to come out only replying. I'll see how it goes.
So true. I think what you normally need to get a group of a few people together is:
a) A set location and time.
b) At least two weeks notice. (Since there aren't a lot of people that regularly peruse the gatherings section, possibly more)
c) Reminder PM's sent out a day or two before the meeting to everyone who said they'd be there. (The further in advance that you set all of this up, the more likely people are to forget that they said they'd be there)

Picking a location is probably the most difficult part, because if someone's not happy you're the one they get to blame. Plus, since us SA people aren't the most bubbly socialites in the world and we typically don't get out all that often, there are a lot of cool local places that we know nothing about. :)

That said, we managed to get a handful of people together for the July 4th festivities last year I believe, so it's not impossible. There's a Starbucks right off of the Gallery Place/Chinatown Metro Stop that seemed to serve as a pretty good initial meeting place before setting off to do whatever the group decided they want to do as it's not a very 'intimidating' type of place like the bars in dc tend to be. (There is a bowling alley, a movie theater, and a number of restaurants around that area as well). Rosslyn, Ballston, Foggy Bottom, DuPont, Bethesda, or Silver Spring would all probably be decent metro stops to find something as well.

Though I cringe at organizing, it does look like there's some interest in another get-together, so I'll do a bit of scouting of spots and research this weekend and see if I can come up with anything interesting to do. :) I'll probably be looking to do around the Middle of September.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts