Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Lazy guy on the couch
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Marijuana? Good or Bad when you Have SA? I smoked some tonight, and I have mixed feelings about the drug.... I'm wondering what you guys think....

·
Registered
139 Posts
For me it depends on the day. I'm not sure what to think about weed because when I developed full blown SA was at the exact time I started smoking, so I don't know if it was a cause or a coincidence.

But like I said it depends on the day. I recently quit smoking it because I need to get a job (didn't help, at all. Still not getting hired) and my anxiety hasn't decreased in the least-- in fact life seems to be worse because everything crappy is more obvious than it used to be and isn't as easily ignored.. but I remember when I was still in school and would smoke up before class I would get to school and feel even worse than usual. Like everyone knew I was high or something. But ever since I've quit I've had nothing but nightmares and dreams where I'm actually getting high.. so.. it's mixed feelings here also.

·
Banned
2,331 Posts
I think it's good if you have someone to advise you who is very experienced in how to properly use it. If not, it's a gamble, but the best part is you can't die from it, so I believe it's worth a shot for anyone.

One important thing for me (and I consider myself an experienced expert) is to smoke it or eat it on a daily basis and get used to it while I'm alone first. There is some sort of breaking in period until I get used it, but if I only smoke it or eat it every once in a while I tend to get panic attacks.

Also, it's important for me to know what strain I'm going to be smoking or eating so I know what to expect.

There are so many more variables that can mean the difference between confidence and panic, but I don't have the energy to list them all.

Maybe one day there will be a paying job for someone like me as a pot use adviser. :lol

·
Registered
405 Posts
I'm not in the market for it. It's effect on music consumption is fascinating, but that's about all the positive effect I get from it.

·
3rd SAS Battalion
886 Posts
Some people seem fine on it. Personally speaking, it made me ten times more paranoid.

I don't believe this rumour of a link between marijuana and mental illness is just a rumour, I believe it's based somewhere in fact. Some people counter this by saying "Well drink also has bad affects but that's legal", and my reply is "What's that got to with it? We shouldn't be adding to our drink problem as a society by sanctioning marijuana use too."

I think at the very least it can be said that it is harmful for people with existing mental health problems.

·
Banned
2,331 Posts
Some people seem fine on it. Personally speaking, it made me ten times more paranoid.

I don't believe this rumour of a link between marijuana and mental illness is just a rumour, I believe it's based somewhere in fact. Some people counter this by saying "Well drink also has bad affects but that's legal", and my reply is "What's that got to with it? We shouldn't be adding to our drink problem as a society by sanctioning marijuana use too."

I think at the very least it can be said that it is harmful for people with existing mental health problems.
It has everything to do with how, when, and how often you use it, IMHO.

There is also a [stronger] link between caffeine and mental illness. I can dig up the study if you like? ;)

·
Banned
2,331 Posts
I find it kinda boring.
Have you ever tried strong brownies made from a Thai Sativa strain? Might be more fun. It's like being trapped in a horror movie, and then when it finally starts to wear off, it feels like you heroically defeated the monster unharmed. :)

I always found it annoying when my friends would smoke tiny amounts between multiple people. That was boring for me.

Of course, using high dosages is only practical if it's legal, cheap, and high quality in the first place. Also have to make a note to self beforehand that it's only cannabis, cannot kill you, and calling 911 is not an option, lol.

·
Comfortably Numb
232 Posts
Are you in the Tumbleweed Club?

·
Registered
3,626 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
It's great for me to relax and such whenever I'm stressed out, but a lot of different things can set off paranoia, which kinda sucks now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I only like smoking when I'm by myself, or if I'm drinking, but if I'm around people it makes my anxiety way worse. It doesn't matter how much I smoke or how often, it just happens every time, it makes me have panic attacks, and I'm way more sensitive to any type of feelings physical or mental. If I smoke around people, all my symptoms of SA are way worse. When I'm by myself it relaxes me, but sometimes it makes my thoughts way more irrational.

·
Banned
2,331 Posts
Are you in the Tumbleweed Club?
Who, me? And what's that about? In Kansas we have tumbleweeds that blow across the road and smash into your car, but is the club about the good kind of weed or something?

Another thing I like about smoking weed (I don't currently BTW) is that in social situations I have an excuse for being quiet and nervous. All I have to do is say "I'm kinda high, man." and everybody understands. It's like they understand it better then saying "I'm kinda SA, man.".

·
Grind
2,433 Posts
marijuana is going to make you more paranoid...

it'll be harder to find a decent job, you'll waste money on it...you'll feel like your jumping through hoops when your not on it...

ive known a handful of people who smoke alot of weed...ive been out of highschool for five years, and they're still doing the same thing they did five years ago...

but you are what you eat, so whatever makes you happy...its just not the life for me...

·
Banned
2,331 Posts
marijuana is going to make you more paranoid...

it'll be harder to find a decent job, you'll waste money on it...you'll feel like your jumping through hoops when your not on it...

ive known a handful of people who smoke alot of weed...ive been out of highschool for five years, and they're still doing the same thing they did five years ago...

but you are what you eat, so whatever makes you happy...its just not the life for me...
I hope you don't mind if I used your post and modified it to help you see things from my point of view. Just let me know if you want me to delete it.

money is going to make you more paranoid...

it'll be harder to find happiness, you'll waste time on it...you'll feel like your jumping through hoops when your not making money...

ive known a handful of people who make alot of money...ive been out of highschool for twelve years, and they're still doing the same thing they did twelve years ago...

·
Geese
20,769 Posts
Depends on each individual as well, for me it makes me mellow and relaxed but for others I know it makes them all paranoid. I won't ever smoke it again though.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
For most people, marijuana has both good and bad effects. In general, marijuana tends to make people with SA paranoid, but the indica strains (rather than sativa) should cause less of that. It's not for everyone, and the danger with marijuana, as with any mind-altering drugs (including antidepressants and anti-anxiety meds) is they change your perception of the world, making it difficult to tell what is the "real" you and what is the "you on drugs" Some people smoke marijuana for years only to suddenly realize they've "wasted their life away" On the other hand, some people just enjoy it on occasion and have restraint.

·
Banned
2,331 Posts
For most people, marijuana has both good and bad effects. In general, marijuana tends to make people with SA paranoid, but the indica strains (rather than sativa) should cause less of that. It's not for everyone
That isn't necessarily true. Some people get more paranoid with indica strains. Overall, I'd say that people should definitely try to understand what it is and have a trustworthy supplier before they try it, or try it over again.

the danger with marijuana, as with any mind-altering drugs (including antidepressants and anti-anxiety meds) is they change your perception of the world, making it difficult to tell what is the "real" you and what is the "you on drugs"
I'll let my homie Einstein address this one... "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."

Some people smoke marijuana for years only to suddenly realize they've "wasted their life away"
Those people just got bored with it and now they're upset that they can't instantly go back to being "normal" without a little effort first. Anyway, if a person really decides that they've "waisted their life away", no matter what they've done, then they simply don't appreciate life it'self as much as "getting ahead in life" or being more successful at "respectable" things then everyone else.

On the other hand, some people just enjoy it on occasion and have restraint.
You say that like it's immoral to use it on a regular basis or get completely wasted once in a while. :roll

1 - 20 of 72 Posts