Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
marching band has been a big part of my life, and has brought me a long way from three years ago. i've become somewhat comfortable with the 34 people in our band. but i've decided i want to go to the next level: i'm trying out for drum major! i'm really really excited, but really scared too... if i want this, i'm going to have to get way louder. and i really do want it! so any advice for bettering myself for the job??? :D

·
Sassy SASer
21 Posts
Wow, and people usually want drums to be quieter! :b

I have played drums for 15-odd years and had a few opportunities to play in a live band setting, and each time I have declined due to SA issues, only to really regret it afterwards. Now I don't know anyone anymore that is interested in music and I really, really, regret those blown opportunities even if they would've caused me anxiety... so my advice is if you want to be a drum major, GO FOR IT! An opportunity wasted is a lifetime beating yourself up about what could've been.

I'm sure you've heard it a zillion times before, but practice a lot. Confidence comes through knowing your material well - and I think the more comfortable you are with it, the louder you'll naturally get as you become more confident.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol....uhmm, actually drum major doesn't have anything to do with drums(i actually play the saxaphone), its the person that marches in front of the band and directs the music and tells the band when to stop and go... but yeah, i've really been practicing a lot, but my instructor tells me i need to be yelling 4 times louder than i already am... so, thats gonna take some work :p

but thanks for the tips ms. spaz! :D

·
Registered
529 Posts
I must be confused too. Because I thought the lead person had a whistle in there mouth tooting & pointing with a baton maybe throwing it in the air once in a while. If you weren't twirling a baton. It would make it easier to have a megaphone. you know talking in the megaphone like "I said move thata way ... NOW!!!":mum ha ha I don't know. good luck & go for it tho

·
Sassy SASer
21 Posts
Ha ha ha sorry Confused, I'm the one that's confused here! :D

Marching bands don't seem to be a big thing here so I don't know the positions... I just hear drums and jump all over it!

I suppose you would need to be able to yell real loud over the drum line! :yes

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol, yeah, no baton... and sadly no megaphone either(but yes, i'll have a whistle)! i gotta learn how to yell really loud so everybody in the band can here me... i think i'm making progress... i think i might have a chance at this!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts