Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A very manipulative person slowly grounded me into severe depression. After I recovered (through medication and study), I learned about the skills manipulative people use. We who suffer from social anxiety are easy prey for those who possess manipulative skills. Some manipulative techniques are:
Making you feel guilty (guilt tripping), accusing you and twisting the truth, "I suffer more than you", "You didn't help me enough", "You owe me", "it always your fault" and, they can give you the silent treatment. These people can intimidate you, embarrass, blame or shame you in front of others and certainly make you feel bad.
The knowledge I obtained about manipulation has been very helpful to me. Has anyone got experiences they can share?
I know that if I had understood manipulation much earlier in my life, if would have saved me an immense amount of trouble. Maybe we can gather some helpful material here !!

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
Salespeople know how to make you feel guilty. A real estate agent who shows you round in his car to look at 4 or 5 houses. Then I feel indebted to use this guy to buy something. I mean I didn't use this particluar guy but he sure made me feel guilty for it. "After I spent half a day with you...you're gonna go ahead and buy from somebody else?"

·
Tormented Artist
239 Posts
omg...0_0
I manipulated people a lot in the past. I never knew what you just described as manipulation....was manipulation.
dooooooooooooooood wtf!!

I have changed a lot the past 4 years though as SA developed...maybe I should bring in my past behavior into play to combat SA???? Maybe having SA is my karma:blush:blush:blush

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
- One that comes to mind - repeatedly badgering someone endlessly, trying to push the other person into saying something stupid, and then playing the victim. This is particularly dangerous because both people are in the wrong and the manipulator knows it - but only the victim will apologize, not the actual manipulator.

- Passive aggression is especially brutal - being nice to your face and then spreading rumors behind your back. The only defense against this is to be a better person and hopefully people will eventually see that the rumors are false.

- The manipulator insults someone. The other person takes offense and asks for an apology or an explanation. And then the manipulator tells the person they are too sensitive, or that they should have expected it.

I've read a lot about manipulation so I see it everywhere. Everyone does it. I do it all the time. Parents do it when they say "how could you do this, don't you know how much I love you" The difference is a manipulator has cruel intentions, does it deliberately, and does it repeatedly with no remorse.

I could on longer, but just look around pay attention, and you'll start to see it everywhere.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Although I'm very introverted, I admit I am pretty good at doing this stuff, especially if I want to turn everyone against one person or push my point to someone forcefully and most the time, they never suspect a thing because a lot of people think I'm simply quiet.

However, I NEVER do it for no reason. I have been bullied and I would never dream of inflicting the pain on anyone like that.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I know how it feels because it happened to me three years ago when my family members manipulated me after my mother died..it was torture.Because of it I have becomer super sharp at everyone and everything. It was for the best. I know I will never get played by anyone....again.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I see this thread was bumped... so I'll bump it again because I think it is a good one...

- False charm is the most powerful form of manipulation. Very difficult to defend against until it is too late, unless you want to be a paranoid wreck your whole life (perhaps like myself, although I am trying to work on striking a balance)

- gaslighting, which I mentioned in a previous thread that noone responded to :( - at the extremes, this could include moving and hiding objects to create a feeling of unease and mental imbalance - it could also be denying that certain things were spoken in the past - it's a little hard to explain, just look it up

- twisting words around is a common one

- getting irrationally upset over trivial details (and deliberately failing to have a rational conversation about it)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts