Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Leben ist verrückt!!!!
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have to hire members to work under me. I have to have bi-weekly board meetings and stuff like that. This kind of stuff is overwhelming to me and I have so much anxiety over this. I am not use to managing a team effectively. I am in the IT/Design field and my job is to oversee the other people to make sure they are doing their job.

I just dont know how to manage a team without being harsh and strict. I want to have an approach which makes me seem flexible, but not harsh. My worst fear is that I will be too passive and not agressive enough. I really dont want people running over me because I am not real assertive.

I dont know how assertive to be. I dont want to be mean, I want to have a good rapport with everyone, but I am just so nervous about managing others. Can you'll offer me some tips on how to handle this????:D

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have no experience in management, but I'll just share some thoughts.

You sound worried about appearing strict or harsh. One way to work around that is to state your expectations clearly and in a straightforward way. If they follow through, show appreciation publicly; if they fall short, give constructive criticism in private. If they continually fall short, then you need some kind of system in place to let them know that it is imperative they improve work performance. I have no idea that would look like, maybe it takes 3 written reports of bad performance and 3 verbal warnings before they are fired. As long as they know what is going to happen if their performance is not adequate, so firing will not be a surprise if it comes to that.

Being friendly and courteous is probably natural for you now, if your supervisors are pleased with your work and you are now given a role of managing people. The Golden Rule is always applicable. If I was managing people, I would put work performance first, and then if they are friendly and there is good rapport, that's a bonus. You don't have to get along with everyone, some people may not be interested in sharing their lives with you, but that situation is no different than if you were colleagues.

Also with questions like you have, I would ask previous supervisors, friends and family, and also read some management books to learn how to hire the right people and how to motivate and encourage. Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts