Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

do you / have you suffered from baldness on the top / back of the head?? is your hair very thin....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Retired Enforcer
19,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
45 and have a full head of hair. It's not even starting to thin.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I don't know what to do. I'm 23 and the forest if falling out at the top of my head. Plus i'm probably going to be a commercial computer programmer soon, so i'm practically doomed.

·
Retired Enforcer
19,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a cousin who was totally bald by the time he was 23. He makes up for it by sporting a full beard and handlebar mustache.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
It's thinning. I wonder if I can have something done.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Goran said:
I don't know what to do. I'm 23 and the forest if falling out at the top of my head. Plus i'm probably going to be a commercial computer programmer soon, so i'm practically doomed.
Ditto except I'm 31 and I'm already one :).
In my case it's probably hereditary, my uncle & cousins have the same balding patterns.
It really started in college, in my 1st year, when I was under a lot of pressure.

·
Spectacular Member
21,089 Posts
Thats one thing I don't seem to have a problem with. I got lots of hair.

·
Registered
233 Posts
People joke that I'm going to go bald soon, but I've always had thin hair and a high hairline, even as a kid. So whatever.. :stu

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
millenniumman75 said:
It's thinning. I wonder if I can have something done.
Sure, you can get a hair transplant and then another after more hair falls out and then another after more falls out and so on over the years, eventually spending as much as a Corvette costs and you can hope the job doesn't look bad/fake and hope having a scar on the back of your head from the doner site doesn't bother you too much. Did they forget to mention this in the late night infomercials?

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Try the drug Proscar to promote hair growth. It has been shown to be the most effective although even it may not help if your balding is due to hereditary factors.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
free thinker said:
Try the drug Proscar to promote hair growth. It has been shown to be the most effective although even it may not help if your balding is due to hereditary factors.
Proscar is a 5 mg pill containing finasteride and it's used to treat enlarged prostates that are relatively common in guys over 50 (enlarged prostates make it hard for them to pee, so they can't empty their bladder fully, so they get up a whole bunch of times each night since they couldn't get the peeing job done in one try).

Propecia, which is marketed for hair loss, is also finasteride. The same drug, but in a 1 mg dose. Due to price differentials, it's vastly cheaper to get a Proscar prescription and cut the pills into quarters (1.25 mg) or fifths (though most guys go with quarters since cutting a pills into 5 pieces is like trying to do microsurgery).

As for hereditary factors, all male pattern baldness is caused by heredity and the fact that you have testicles. You can't do anything about heredity and I don't know anybody willing give up their balls for a full head of hair. Eunuchs don't have this problem -- they've got great hair to get the babes, but what are they going to do with the babes -- other than perhaps discuss hair care products?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
24 and so-far-so-good.

On my mom's side, none of the guys are bald, and on my dad's side, he didn't start losing it until he was well over 50. So, I'm cautiously optimistic that I'll have a full head of hair for many years to come :)

-Ryan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts