Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I absolutely hate making phone calls. I never work on sundays, so every sunday I have to call my workplace to get my work schedule for the week. It makes me so anxious. Anyone have tips on how to with making phone calls?

·
Author
242 Posts
I am the same way. DREAD making any calls to anyone. But if I have to what I do is write down what I'm gonna say. Typing for me, sending emails or texts is by far the easiest so if I type what I'm gonna say and read it first helps me. I still get nervous but a tiny bit more confident for that moment. I hope this helps.

·
Banned
225 Posts
Yeah, there is definitely something about phone calls that just causes anxiety. It's very discomforting that you cannot physically be there speaking to them, and waiting for someone to pick up. And I always practice what I'm going to say before I do it. Crazy enough though, I get more comfort out of physically going there to get my schedule even though it is also scary and I'm always awkward. However, I do call for my schedule instead simply because I'd feel too weird driving all the way there (and for me driving feels unnatural unless I *need* to be somewhere). I'm still not used to it.

Out of curiosity, what is everyone's opinion on making phone calls vs. receiving them? They're both equally terrifying for me.

·
Author
242 Posts
Usually for me receiving calls is the worst. I have my phone on silent all the time and always let the calls go to voice mail. I panic when I see an incoming call.

Depending on who I have to call, I get very nervous. If I call let's say the bank or to make a payment, the call seems endless.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, there is definitely something about phone calls that just causes anxiety. It's very discomforting that you cannot physically be there speaking to them, and waiting for someone to pick up. And I always practice what I'm going to say before I do it. Crazy enough though, I get more comfort out of physically going there to get my schedule even though it is also scary and I'm always awkward. However, I do call for my schedule instead simply because I'd feel too weird driving all the way there (and for me driving feels unnatural unless I *need* to be somewhere). I'm still not used to it.

Out of curiosity, what is everyone's opinion on making phone calls vs. receiving them? They're both equally terrifying for me.
I prefer physically getting mine too, but I usually call anyway. Definitely receiving phone calls is worse though, I rarely if ever answer my phone. I think it has to do with if I'm calling someone, then I have a definite reason to and I know what I'm going to say, therefore I can kind of judge how the conversation is going to go. If someone is calling me, I don't know what they want or what they're going to say, so I can't prepare myself. I usually let my phone ring and go to voice mail. If they don't leave one I assume it's unimportant. If they do I'll listen and then decide if I should call back or not. That way I can know ahead of time what I'm going to say during the conversation, if that makes sense.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts