Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
friendships are based on common interests what are your hobbies? go to a search engine type a hobby you like plus your city name they just might have gatherings or an event you could go to

·
Writer
2,521 Posts
Makes sense, but sometimes it does not work. For example i know a few sites about writers in this city, i even once went to one of their meetings- worse hours of my life. Those people were horrible, pompous, arrogant, all-around nasty...

But maybe less personal hobbies are better for this sort of thing :)

·
Registered
779 Posts
It's hard yeah... I recommend these things:
1. Start at the gym and find a "gym buddy" with similar goals to help u stay on track
2. Take a class for your own interest and talk to people there ie/ cooking (a really good one people always have food in common), pottery, wine tasting, photography, painting, woodwork
3. Go to community events/ participate in fundraisers and ask people about them... Mention that you are new. People love to help out new people and share info with them.
4. Go to church (if you're religious) people there are warm and welcoming
5. Officially meet your neighbors.. Have a potluck and invite everyone on the street to meet each other.
6. Try a new sport/club that involves drinking/socializing ie darts, poker, billiards, curling
7. Hangout with coworkers outside of work they can be waaaay cooler just say you have nothing on for the night and ask if they wanna see a movie or game or something
8. Go to concerts, you can say your friend bailed on you last minute but you are too big a fan to miss it so you're alone and someone will take you into ther group for the night.. Make friends with people who like similar music
9. Go to an Internet cafe. Whenever u have nothing to do and just wanna chill on the net... Do it at a cafe so you can talk to potential friends! Share videos or interesting articles with people in the cafe who don't seem busy.
10. Have a garage sale. Sell ur old crap and have people come by to talk to all at once! They might be interested in some of ur stuff so you can tell the stories behind it etc.

Hope that helps ;)

·
Nope, still not!
3,273 Posts
For me it's because I'm too awkward and shy IRL to hold any kind of conversation, and I'm so paranoid / closed off that I'm unable to share anything about myself so I come across as aloof and apathethic wich I kinda am anyway.

Ehrm... long story short... I'm not cut out for this stuff :p

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For me it's because I'm too awkward and shy IRL to hold any kind of conversation, and I'm so paranoid / closed off that I'm unable to share anything about myself so I come across as aloof and apathethic wich I kinda am anyway.

Ehrm... long story short... I'm not cut out for this stuff :p
i know exactly what you mean. its tough out there

1 - 6 of 6 Posts