Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Newly Optimistic
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello peeps,

Has anyone been able to make friends when they don't know anyone else?

I've tried craigslist and I've only gotten one or two replies so far. I'm going to try to make it to the meetup groups.

I'm wondering if any people here managed to get the courage to start talking to random strangers at a store or at a bar and have it turn out non-creepy.

- Vince

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yes. I moved here 3 years ago and still haven't made a friend. Lately I have considered browsing some people on myspace and messaging them... telling them I'm new in town and trying to meet people. Would that be weird? They'd think I'm so desperate haha. But I think teenagers do that when they move to a new town, in a new state... I think? I don't know what normal teenagers do to meet people, actually lol. Anyways. Making friends has NEVER been a strong suit of mine, I've always either been alone or had to have someone make friends for me. which hardly ever works.

·
Registered
225 Posts
It's called a hobby, find something that actually interests you and you wont even need to think about making friends. Just don't do hobby's that you don't enjoy cause nothing comes out of it. Pretty much like having a job you don't like and managing to love waking up in the morning and staying late hours.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Having a hobby doesn't replace what friends could bring to the table. I'm guessing? I have plenty of hobbies but that's just it, those hobbies are for me to do in my alone time. I don't want so much alone time.

·
Half way there
428 Posts
I met up with a person I met here. Have you tried contacting fellow SAS forumers who live near you?

·
Newly Optimistic
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I only know of one SA'er who lives within 100 miles of where I am.

Hobbies can never replace having friends, I need human interaction.

·
Protector of the Den
15,048 Posts
I have the same problem. It's hard to make friends when you don't know anyone. There have to be tons of equally lonely people in my area, but I'm having a hard time finding them. I did meet someone from SAS, so don't completely give up on that option :) . New members join all the time.

·
breaking free
2,171 Posts
You can meet friends through work. If you don't have a job, you can always look to see who is hiring. I work as a bagger at a grocery store and all the people who work there are really nice. I just started the job, but hopefully I will make friends :)

You can also try joining a club for a hobby you have. That is a great way to meet people with similar interests as you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts