Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wish I had friends at college, but I don't. In high school and middle school it's easy to make friends because you're with the same people all the time and you know that everyone else wants to make friends too. I ended up falling into a group of friends without even trying. Now that people aren't coming straight to me wanting a friendship, I don't know what to do. I feel like if I would have made friends in the beginning of my freshman year, it would have been so much easier. However, I didn't and now I feel like it's too late. Also, I am on an internship right now instead of taking classes and won't be taking classes again until the spring semester, but I don't want to wait until then to meet people. I just moved back onto campus because I was living with my mom, and I want to make connections with people. I know there are people out there willing to be my friend, I just don't know how to go about finding them.

Sometimes I think about doing something off-the-wall or outgoing, but then I think, "No, I could never put myself out there like that!" I need to get out of my little comfort zone and expereince new things. I think about how much happier I would be and it's exciting, but then I think about actually putting myself out there and I get scared, nervous, and shy. I have no idea why I am like that, but it's messing up my life.

So, where do I go to meet people where I won't feel insecure?

·
sad panda
675 Posts
I don't have any friends in college either, and i'm almost in my last semester. Haven't made a new friend in years, so I don't know how helpful advice from me is, lol. I frequent cafes/coffee houses, and have found that a lot of people come up and talk to you without you having to do anything. You could try taking small classes in a hobby or interest, or in something completely random? I think classes where you meet more than once with the same group is definitely the easiest way to make friends, whether it is a college class or otherwise.

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
When you're in class again, just ask around if anyone wants to study. While studying you can talk about the class, the prof, the material, etc. to make small talk, and then broaden the small talk. Ask people about themselves, their major, their career goals, where they're from, etc. It's a bit awkward at first, sometimes, but it isn't as hard as you might be telling yourself it is.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts