Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Searching..error
120 Posts
Hi, I'll try to offer some advice, but I don't know how much it will help since I've not made a new friend in 4 years.

I would say try to change your outlook and approach. Don't think about it as "making friends", because then there is all that pressure that they HAVE to like you or you have to like them. What about just "being social"? Or maybe you could add a stepping stone in there before "making true friends" and have it be "making school friends".

School friends are so much easier because you don't have to have those same connections. Just ask stuff related to the coursework, homework, and add a few complaints in there. You might even find somebody you connect with and can branch out on subjects other than school with.

Best of luck~

·
metamorphosis
7,002 Posts
Hi,

Currently, I'm going through the same things. I can't really seem to make friends, no matter what I do. It's like I have friend repellent. I don't know if I can offer any help to be honest.

I feel like I just can't relate to anybody. Everybody else likes sport and video games and stuff, but nobody at my school seems to like technology. Everytime I meet people it seems that they irritate me too much for me to want to try any further.

I realize that I have extremely high standards, but I really don't know how to lower them.

If you're friends with kids in other grades, how many years apart are they from you? It might not really matter so much if the gap is small, but I can see why you would want friends your own age.

Maybe try to look a little more friendly and relaxed. Of course this is easier said than done however.

Why did you change your hairstyle and clothing style? Maybe you should just try being yourself. What was wrong with the old style? (Obviously, I have no idea what the old style was)

Have you also tried talking to your school counsellor? They might be able to offer some help if you haven't tried already.

Sorry if I wasn't any help, however, I'm going through the same stuff at the moment, except that I have no friends, in any classes.

·
metamorphosis
7,002 Posts
My main friends are one grade above me.....this isn't really a problem until I hit my last year of high school....where they will be gone. I'm most of my classes, I have like 1 person I could talk to, but they are usually like the insanely nerdy type.....I am too....but I learned not to show it.

I changed my style because I was very out of touch with the current fashion. I would wear ugly all black clothing every day and I eventually got a reputation.....So before it was too late, I did a complete overhaul of my style and it actually caught the attention of some people.

Don't worry... you did help me...I take everybodies comment to heart and try to use it.

As for you, you said you were very nerdy....now I am like that too...I could honestly have an 8 hour conversation about what type of graphics card is best for a computer....or what is better... Mac or pc.

But what I recently learned was to keep all of that to myself... I recently started to force myself to listen to like the popular kids and kind of immitate their conversation topics.....I didn't make many friends yet, but I know I'm getting peoples attention (in a positive way).....hope I helped :D
Yeah, but whats the point of trying to imitate popular people if you aren't actually like them? To me, that sounds like being the typical fake teenager. I'm completely honest with my geekiness, I'm actually proud of it. I feel smarter than the rest of the kids, but I also feel like I'm too good for them. >.<

·
Registered
11 Posts
I also find it hard to make friends. There is this group at school that I would really like to join but I don't know if i will ever be able to do it. I try and speak to some of them and then others I just find it insanely hard, however nice they are. I just try and be myself and try my best to talk, especially about what we are doing in the lesson

1 - 6 of 6 Posts