Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's day three into frosh week at my university and I just moved in. Going in, I was really pumped to meet people and get out there, but once I actually arrived at my dorm I felt alienated and I couldn't for the life of me get a word out to anyone, much less attend the giant parties at frosh.

I figure I need a day or two to adjust to my surroundings before I have enough confidence to talk to anyone, but will that be too late? I'm afraid I won't be able to make any friends.

My question to you guys then, is how do you make friends at university? Do you find that if you don't attend frosh that it's extremely difficult? And how do you guys cope with meeting new people?

·
nascentes morimur
587 Posts
I actually met all my university friends at frosh week, which is weird because I was expecting to get excluded and what not. The way I met people was to introduce myself to everyone and ask them what discipline of engineering they're going into.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I didn't get involved with the first week much and I lived at home too so found it really difficult to make friends and get into a group. It's just a bit harder when everyone tries to make their attachments straight away so they're not alone. You just have to make that extra effort and find a bit of confidence to get involved and get to know some people. I still managed to make a friend or two when classes started. I find it's a bit easier meeting new people in that situation because you can talk about what's going on in the class and then start to get to know them a bit. Just push yourself to ask people about anything that's going on that you could take yourself along to and meet new people.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I would say go to EVERYTHING you can. KEEP MOVING never settle on one or two friends or even five or six--you want to keep moving and planting more seeds through campus. Understand the state of the group or individual you are interacting with and mirror it. If its a study group be in your "smart" state" if you are in a coffee house be in your "polite banter" state if you are at a party be in your "partyboy hey, bro I'm just here to have a good time" state.

·
Penguin
4,506 Posts
My question to you guys then, is how do you make friends at university? Do you find that if you don't attend frosh that it's extremely difficult? And how do you guys cope with meeting new people?
If your course puts on any kind of pre-teaching gathering you should try to go to it, otherwise just turn up to things really early and talk to the other earlycomers, that's how I made friends at uni (who stayed friends for years). Freshers' week was terrible for me, everyone seemed to have pulled cliques out of their own fundamental orifices (read:facebook) before even the first day of freshers' week so I found it difficult to penetrate any of the friendship groups.

·
herp derp
2,347 Posts
I would say go to EVERYTHING you can. KEEP MOVING never settle on one or two friends or even five or six--you want to keep moving and planting more seeds through campus. Understand the state of the group or individual you are interacting with and mirror it.
I tried this when I moved high school. Didn't work for me at all. The problem with this method was that it didn't give me enough time to know them or anything - so I kinda just became the "acquaintance" person or the person who just "occasionally hung out" with you. "Quality not quantity" afterall.... It wasn't until I dropped this "method" (i.e hung out with one group) very late on in the year did I start to have proper friends. the acquaintances that I did acquire, I'd never speak to again once I'd finish (just finished high school) - unless there was some kind of *group* "reunion".

Freshers' week was terrible for me, everyone seemed to have pulled cliques out of their own fundamental orifices (read:facebook) before even the first day of freshers' week so I found it difficult to penetrate any of the friendship groups.
This post makes me sad. :roll

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. Turns out that I had to buy a kit in order to attend frosh week, and I was busy the days they were selling them so I've unfortunately missed out on the opportunity.

However I don't think all is lost, I've realized that a lot of my anxieties have been just me putting a lot of pressure on myself. I realize that I tend to make friends wherever I go anyways, but gradually and more on a person-to-person basis as opposed to going to parties or the like. I think everyone has their own way of meeting people and hell, a good chunk of my high school friends didn't even go to frosh week and they're doing fine for themselves.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts