Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate this part of myself. I suffer from always setting my mind on doing something only to have the pangs of anxiety get worse and worse as the event comes closer till I seek out every opportunity to either avoid the situation or cancel it. I'm a college student, and my grades have suffered because of this. I almost want to register at the Wellness office so at least i could talk to someone personally about what's been going on but i'm afraid.

Lately i have been taking volunteer jobs and it pains to that every time i get sensitive about a certain job where i perceive i'm going to be the only new person there i flip out and worry over it. Like just moments ago I canceled this volunteer job I planned to do for tomorrow. i feel incredibly stupid--like i've let myself down in more ways than one. It's like once my anxiety builds and builds i cant calm myself down and the only thing that soothes me is to cancel the whole thing. When I have made myself go through the commitment in the past despite the high anxiety, i feel like i'm physically dying in the process. My whole body feels on edge and i even shake and tremble a little. By the time i come down from the high, my heart is pounding and my back is covered in perspiration like i just escaped near death at the hands of a murder or something. any advice??

·
Registered
530 Posts
I'm on the same boat...

I think the worst one for me in recent memory was talking myself into trying out for a waiter job, only to decline the job offer. I've learned from that experience, that I should think about how much I really want a certain job and what my goals are.

I still continue to make the same mistake with other commitments concerning school or old friends that still want to hang out. I make excuses a lot of the time. I've also wanted to join a social anxiety support group at my college, but I've always been too afraid of going and for other people to find out.

Good luck, to the both of us. Just take things slow and think everything through.

·
Lost and Confused...
26 Posts
I know exactly what you're talking about, sometimes I imagine getting the Nike slogan tattooed on my arm to remind myself to "Just Do It." :b
Haha I've been repeating "Just Do It" in my mind every time I encounter a situation where I might get kind of anxious, but it just gets crowded out with all these other thoughts about what might happen.

·
pickles
532 Posts
I hate this part of myself. I suffer from always setting my mind on doing something only to have the pangs of anxiety get worse and worse as the event comes closer till I seek out every opportunity to either avoid the situation or cancel it. I'm a college student, and my grades have suffered because of this. I almost want to register at the Wellness office so at least i could talk to someone personally about what's been going on but i'm afraid.

Lately i have been taking volunteer jobs and it pains to that every time i get sensitive about a certain job where i perceive i'm going to be the only new person there i flip out and worry over it. Like just moments ago I canceled this volunteer job I planned to do for tomorrow. i feel incredibly stupid--like i've let myself down in more ways than one. It's like once my anxiety builds and builds i cant calm myself down and the only thing that soothes me is to cancel the whole thing. When I have made myself go through the commitment in the past despite the high anxiety, i feel like i'm physically dying in the process. My whole body feels on edge and i even shake and tremble a little. By the time i come down from the high, my heart is pounding and my back is covered in perspiration like i just escaped near death at the hands of a murder or something. any advice??
sounds just like me, I hope someone in this thread has some good advice for people like us :)

·
Quartzfiend
447 Posts
The only advice I can give is to just to decide to do what you know deep down what is best, and then decide thats it and forget about it.

And this is the most important part: Do not think about it enough to give yourself wiggle room to make excuses to back out.

After a while of doing this, it won't be a big deal anymore.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only advice I can give is to just to decide to do what you know deep down what is best, and then decide thats it and forget about it.

And this is the most important part: Do not think about it enough to give yourself wiggle room to make excuses to back out.

After a while of doing this, it won't be a big deal anymore.
That makes sense ... Like I know I would have done a perfectly fine job had I not canceled and gone today. But yesterday I did not feel this way, and despite my attempts to reassure myself I kept picturing the worst scenarios that could happen.

Sometimes to helps me to journal down my thoughts and it fishes out the good and bad thoughts. I know how irritational it is to expect the worst to occur in a situation especially when i'll be doing something i know i'm good at and i freak out over it when i haven't even shown up to said place yet.. This is what i like to call self sabotage. :|

1 - 8 of 8 Posts