Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I study finance but I'm thinking about going back to college after I graduate to study music composition. I love music so much that I'm willing to devote 4 extra years and a bunch of money to studying it.

I have taken 1 semester of theory and ear training (just as electives), and that was kind of fun. We got into a little partwriting. There is actually a music business and commercial music degree at my college. Not many colleges offer that, and that gives the student the ability to persue a music career in private industry, instead of teaching in high schools or colleges like many music graduates eventually do. Commerical music seems interesting to me, so I might persue that--I don't know.

I live in Illinois and I probably want to go to University of Illinois in a year or two after I graduate from the college I'm at now...U of I has been known to have a pretty good music school (especially in the area of computer and electronic music, which I'm not really into). The trumpet player who played for the Canadian Brass (Ronald Romm) teaches there too.

Music will be fun, I think. I was not really comfortable singing in sight singing class. I've tried to educate myself about music in my spare time, but me teaching myself through books won't come close to standing up to a quality college education, which is why I want to go back to college and study music someday.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've always envied ppl who majored in music, if my parents are rich I would pursue that definitely, unfortunately I'm not so I have to stick to a practical degree :(.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I got my Bachelors in Piano Performance. You can't imagine the kind of torture you go through to give a recital. Everytime I had to perform I was a wreck. Yet people kept encouraging me to pursure performance because I play "so well". No I'm stuck with the most impractical degree known to man (I applied for a job at Target and they told me I was overqualified even though I've never had any retail experience). I HATE performing, which is why I'm now trying to figure out what I enjoy doing. New career path: HERE I COME!

·
Registered
721 Posts
i would love to major in music but unfortunately i'm just not that gifted. i play some instruments but none that i'm really really good at

1 - 5 of 5 Posts