Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can I tell which video games are mainstream or obscure? I dont watch TV for commercials, so I only have the web to search and I cant tell which games have more popularity than others. Someone help me out please, I wanna try some obscure games, and is Mass Effect series mainstream or obscure

·
Credible Hulk
1,775 Posts
Mass Effect is pretty mainstream, not that there's anything wrong with that. I love Mass Effect. Any game that has an official commercial is about as mainstream as it gets.

By 'obscure,' do you mean old games that aren't in the limelight anymore, or indie games that arrive with very little fanfare?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gaming news sites and forums. But why do you care?
Im just curious and trying to learn and understand social stuff better

By 'obscure,' do you mean old games that aren't in the limelight anymore, or indie games that arrive with very little fanfare?
Either is good

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Just gauge it from reading game forums or read gaming magazines. Its harder to publish console games so they're more likely to be mainstream already or marketed heavily in hoping it will hit it big and become mainstream for more sequels. they probably did a bit of testing to make sure it wasn't a complete flop too. anyone can make a pc, internet, or mobile game if they have the tools and the know how. most of the big publishers market them heavily on tv and in magazines while others rely on internet ads, game sites and forums. one of the biggest tools they have are social networks. they reward players to share it on social networks like facebook and twitter because its free advertising. the more exposure a game gets, the less obscure it is and a greater chance to becoming mainstream.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Honestly, you shouldn't care, but basically the games that get a lot of publicity tend to be the ones on the more "mainstream" side. "Mainstream" games tend to be dumbed down to appeal to a wider audience. In regards to your other question; Mass Effect is quite a mainstream series.

I suppose you could have a look at The Witcher games if you want RPGs that are a bit more obscure.

·
Credible Hulk
1,775 Posts
Either is good
You might want to consider checking out GOG.com. I recommend it all the time--it's a really great site. It has a lot lesser-known classics for your perusal, along with some fairly recent indie games.

·
Banned
8,009 Posts
Make sure to get indie bundles whenever they are out as well if your looking for indie games.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts