Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somewhere in this forum on a klonopin tolerance thread someone mentioned using magnesium glycinate supplements to prevent tolerance from developing.Is there any truth to this?

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
What to you think about Acamprosate to prevent tolerance? I have it a home.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
If it's the glycinate form then there's no problem. If you take high doses of others forms of magnesium that are harsh on the gastrointernal tract which results in diarrhea and within the same time period take the SSRI pill this could of course result in absorption problems of the SSRI.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts

·
Staying positive
754 Posts
How exactly does it help prevent tolerance?

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
By acting as an NMDA antagonist AFAIK, but euphoria is the expert.

·
Staying positive
754 Posts
Does it help with benzo withdrawal? I've been trying to get off Klonopin and I'm about halfway to zero mg after 2 mg for 2 years. It's been going well dropping .125 mg every 3 days, but there are still some withdrawal effects including anxiety and a little bit of depression and insomnia.

Do you think magnesium can help with these effects? What is the best kind of magnesium to take. I hear magnesium citrate is used to clean out your bowels, I don't know if I want that...

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Does it help with benzo withdrawal? I've been trying to get off Klonopin and I'm about halfway to zero mg after 2 mg for 2 years. It's been going well dropping .125 mg every 3 days, but there are still some withdrawal effects including anxiety and a little bit of depression and insomnia.

Do you think magnesium can help with these effects? What is the best kind of magnesium to take. I hear magnesium citrate is used to clean out your bowels, I don't know if I want that...
Magnesium glycinate/lysinate/aspartate (mixture of all 3) is the type that's worked the best for me. Magnesium malate was pretty good as well. Citrate just gave me diarrhoea and probably some degree of malnutrition as a result. It wouldn't be so bad in lower doses, but then you lose the positive effects.

Yes, I do think it can help a lot for benzo withdrawal. You should take magnesium for a few months while keeping a stable dose of Klonopin to see if magnesium can reverse the tolerance without withdrawal. I've read research that indicates NMDA blockers prevent benzo and alcohol tolerance (alcohol depletes magnesium as well), so it's actually quite likely. You might even find that it blocks tolerance enough to make long-term benzo use practical, but added acetylcholine drugs like huperzine A are essential for this to stop the benzo stupidity.

·
Staying positive
754 Posts
Where can I find magnesium glycinate? All I can find is magnesium oxide, which I heard isn't as good.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts