Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a friend while waiting in line to order a bagel.
She said she liked my glasses, and just kept talking to me, which always makes things easier, of course. So we sat and ate our bagels together and we had a lot in common!
She was asking me a lot of questions so it was very easy to talk to her.
We exchanged phone numbers and plan on hanging out soon.
I was very excited, because being in a new town and being at college, it's really difficult, for me at least, to meet new people and make friends.
I see other people meeting others all the time, and of course it's not a big deal for them. I sometimes feel embarrassed that meeting someone new is such a big deal for me, since I don't really see others making a fuss over making friends.
OH well. The most important thing is that I'm making friends! Slowly! But surely. :)

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Jeeze I don't know how people meet people at the most random places. I guess it helps when the person is really chatty. That's cool though. You're off to a good start :) I'm going to go order a bagel now...

·
Registered
665 Posts
Wow! How exciting! That is wonderful. I'm so happy for you! :)

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Thats great news, I'm happy for ya :).

Its interesting though, I wonder what was going through the mind of this girl you met. This girl has done somehting which, to most of us, is impossible: inititate a conversation with a stranger (and as a bonus, find a new friend). Was it a big deal to her, inititating conversation with a stranger? Why did she initiate this? Was she lonely? Did she get nervous at any point during the convo? (I am just thinking out loud here; of course I don't expect you to know the answers). What if you or I tried to initiate this convo, would we have succeeded as she apparently has?

Not only is this good news, I think its a great learning opportunity. What did this girl say or do that made you wanna keep talking as opposed to bailing. Was it simply her asking questions and the answers revealing that you had a lot in common?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you, everyone!
And to mind_games: You know, I'm not sure it was a big deal to her. I mean, I thought she would quit talking to me after commenting on my glasses but then, she just turned around and kept talking to me. First was, "Did you just come from class?"
And there were moments when, and I'm not sure if this indicates that she was nervous, but, she would stop asking questions and we'd just kind of sit there. And at those moments I got kind of nervous, thinking, this is an opportunity to actually TALK to someone who has similar interests, so I was able to awkwardly spit out some random question for her.
And yes, I believe that just because she was persistent, for whatever reason, in asking me questions I was able to feel more comfortable.
Somehow she just knew all the right questions to ask to keep the conversation going.
It was really impressive, at least to me.
Sorry this is kind of rambling on...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts