Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've put off making a Facebook or Myspace account for a few years because, quite frankly, I was afraid of social networking sites. I was afraid of putting my pictures and my personal information up, afraid of sending out friend requests. That latter fear comes in two parts: 1) I was afraid of of rejection, and 2) afraid that I'm somehow being an annoyance to other people.

I finally made the jump a week or so ago and emailed a bunch of of people I knew in high school. I started with close friends, then made up way up to more causal acquaintances and friends that I had lost contact with. I even worked up the courage to send friend requests out to girls I had crushes on. You know what? It wasn't bad; in fact it was actually cathartic in some ways. Almost everyone has accepted my friend invites so far (more on that later), and several people were actually excited to see me again. Even something as small and simple as this has already increase my level of self confidence.

When I said “almost everyone has accepted”, I meant everyone except one single holdout. That person is a girl I was semi-friends with in high school, the only person I ever worked up the courage to ask out. She never explicitly said no, but she never said yes either. My SA ended up kicking in full force, and I never had the nerve to talk to her again. I've spend years ruminating over it: what I could have done differently, how things could have been.

It's been almost a week so far and she hasn't accepted. I'm pretty sure she's not going to at this point and is ignoring me, since she's had other activity on her page since then. And you know what? I'm actually happy and relieved. I feel like I can stop worrying out it, move on with my life and stop pretending like she might have had feelings for me. Making the Facebook account has been the best thing I've done all year.

· Registered
146,606 Posts
I couldn't have done it - there wouldn't be very many people I'd want to be friends with from back then. :(

· Registered
1,338 Posts
i made one hoping that i could get to know the people ive been going to school with for the past 5 years.... long story short it didnt turn out, 14 friends, no one writes on my page, only got 1 happy birthday out of those 14 a couple days ago......... also i dont post my picture on because i dont want my stupid ****ing brothers saying stupid ****ing **** to me mother ****er!

· Registered
1,388 Posts
The only reason why I don't feel bad about friending people is because I know that I personally would accept any friend request, even if I hated the person, because thats just what you do. Even people I don't know at all I accept. I have never gotten rejected, even when me and my friend went on friend competitions. Friend random people to see who can get more. yea. we get bored :p

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I said "almost everyone has accepted", I meant everyone except one single holdout. That person is a girl I was semi-friends with in high school, the only person I ever worked up the courage to ask out. She never explicitly said no, but she never said yes either. My SA ended up kicking in full force, and I never had the nerve to talk to her again. I've spend years ruminating over it: what I could have done differently, how things could have been.

It's been almost a week so far and she hasn't accepted. I'm pretty sure she's not going to at this point and is ignoring me, since she's had other activity on her page since then. And you know what? I'm actually happy and relieved. I feel like I can stop worrying out it, move on with my life and stop pretending like she might have had feelings for me. Making the Facebook account has been the best thing I've done all year.
Spoke too soon, she accepted my friend request after I posted this.

Congrats, What is your facebook link? :)
I might post it in the Facebook thread later.

· MayTheForceBeWithYou
19,576 Posts
no one bothering to leave a comment.
Id like to say to this, is that some people out there might be busy to leave a comment, some of my friends I have are awfully busy, but i try to comment them. You can always try to comment on their profile instead of waiting for them to contact. why not make the first move.

I dare everyone that has a facebook account, and they think or have an attitude of "No one bothering to leave a comment," to put that aside, and get yourself commenting on your friend's account.

· Registered
3,437 Posts
I have facebook. I have 5 friends. I just go there to say what I'm doing and than log off. I have trouble looking at other people's profiles, too. Most people now have their profile set to private. I like myspace better since I love going there just to look at bands.

· Registered
1,268 Posts
Good for you! I recently did the same kind of thing, which I also found pretty nerve wracking, so can appreciate that it must have taken alot of courage on your part. Well done and glad to know that it helped you to feel better about things. :)

The only reason why I don't feel bad about friending people is because I know that I personally would accept any friend request, even if I hated the person, because thats just what you do.
I have to admit that I don't quite think like that. In general, I'm happy to befriend anyone on the site so long as at least I'm on friendly/civil speaking terms with the person in question. But otherwise don't see the point - especially if I dislike them. Funnily enough, I received an unwanted friend request - for the very first time since I joined the site - just yesterday from someone I knew years ago at high school. It totally beats me as to why she sent it, as during the whole of the time I was at school with her she did nothing but be really nasty towards me. She certainly never liked me, and from my point of view the feeling was mutual. It was a long time ago, but even now I still want nothing to do with her - so I clicked ignore. I'd normally feel really guilty about doing that to someone but not in that kind of case.

· Registered
93 Posts
I had a Facebook account before, but closed it after lack of interest. My life's to oboring to have anyone read about it, lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.