Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Forever Young
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I see my psychiatrist again on the 20th and was thinking of aasking him if he could start me on lyrica. What would be a typical starting dosage for anxiety? Also, what is the maximum dose and what is the maintenance dose?

I've read alot of good things about it being used for anxiety, and its crazy with all the meds im currently on, that I still have anxiety problems. :(

The only things that concern me are the potential weight gain and tolerance. Has anyone had big weight gain from lyrica? And should I take it only as needed, or should I take it daily.

Thanks!

P.S - I know there are more threads about lyrica, which i checked, but i had these specific questions, and thought I could get some feedback from other users here on the forum.

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
Are you on xanax AND klonopin daily or just prn?

·
Forever Young
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you on xanax AND klonopin daily or just prn?
i take them daily, yes. is this shocking to you? the maximum dose of xanax is 10mg per day for panic disorder. and as for klonopin, the max dose for panic disorder is 4mg per day. that would make me on a moderate to high dose, but well within reasonable doses for my specific conditions. my panic disorder and anxiety disorder is beyond severe. nearly agoraphobic.

do you have any answers to the questions i posted about lyrica?

ide prefer if we talked about the stuff i posted. if thats ok with you...

EDIT: Thank you for making me feel it necessary to remove my signature with the medications i take.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
What would be a typical starting dosage for anxiety? Also, what is the maximum dose and what is the maintenance dose?
I'd love to know too. I'm interested in possibly trying Lyrica, but I have no idea what the dosage should be would be when it comes in capsules that range anywhere from 25 to 300mg.

·
Student of life
152 Posts
The maximum dose for lyrica is 600mg/day. I am on 450mg/day, and I am taking Bupropion as well which works against sexual dysfunction and weight gain that lyrica can cause. Also, yes lyrica can be VERY addictive.

But taking it with TWO benzos? That sounds like a very very strong combo, I am no doctor but I wouldn't advice you to do that. Lyrica increases the effects of benzos too, which is another reason why you should be careful.

·
Forever Young
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok cool, thanks for the info guys!

·
baclofen enthusiast
2,748 Posts
start with 75mg in the evening, then after one week take 75mg at noon and in the evening, then take it three times a day which means also in the morning.

·
Forever Young
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
start with 75mg in the evening, then after one week take 75mg at noon and in the evening, then take it three times a day which means also in the morning.
yea i'll tell my psych that. that it only takes 1 week to start to take effect. hopefully he will understand. He has never been one to start me on anything in a moderate or high dose.

but im gonna ask if he can start me on a medium dose, as im going to explain to him that im getting impatient. alot of times he will start me on some low dose of a med, then tell me to come back in a month. which is crap.

luckily, as i understand, lyrica only takes 1-2 weeks to start taking effect. he is a smart guy, so he should understand.

thanks, swim.

Reactions: swim

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
but im gonna ask if he can start me on a medium dose, as im going to explain to him that im getting impatient. alot of times he will start me on some low dose of a med, then tell me to come back in a month. which is crap.
I'm get impatient myself with low starting doses. I've been screwing around for 20 days on a low dose of Parnate. The dose should clearly be higher, and presumably it will be raised when I see my pdoc tomorrow. But I still wasted three weeks of my life f'ing around on a dinky dose that gets nothing done. I'd much rather ramp up to a high dose rapidly and get results ASAP. It's not like I'm going to live forever. I don't want to waste any more of my life.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
But taking it with TWO benzos? That sounds like a very very strong combo, I am no doctor but I wouldn't advice you to do that. Lyrica increases the effects of benzos too, which is another reason why you should be careful.
Somehow you make that sound like a bad thing. Xanax (or any other benzo) is only marginally effective for me, so something that increases its effect would be much appreciated.

What I worry about is weight gain. According to Lyrica's own clinical trials 9% of those who took it gained greater than 7% of their starting body mass. I find that stat very disturbing. I've been seriously trying to lose weight and this is the last thing I need, though Lyrica is one of the few drugs I haven't tried yet so I don't have a lot of options left at this point.

·
Forever Young
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Somehow you make that sound like a bad thing. Xanax (or any other benzo) is only marginally effective for me, so something that increases its effect would be much appreciated.

What I worry about is weight gain. According to Lyrica's own clinical trials 9% of those who took it gained greater than 7% of their starting body mass. I find that stat very disturbing. I've been seriously trying to lose weight and this is the last thing I need, though Lyrica is one of the few drugs I haven't tried yet so I don't have a lot of options left at this point.
yea exactly, if i can get on a drug that helps decrease my anxiety more, why would i refuse it?

and i am also concerned about the weight gain. but i guess i'll find out how bad it is once i start taking it.

·
baclofen enthusiast
2,748 Posts
lyrica and benzos combo is a total let down while lyrica and baclofen feels like G or even better without the dangers of G.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
lyrica and benzos combo is a total let down while lyrica and baclofen feels like G or even better without the dangers of G.
What's G?:stu

·
Forever Young
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't understand why it would be a total let down. They are two different classes of drugs.

What im expecting is that any anxiety that I feel on days that I dont take my benzo's, will be helped by the lyrica. Is this not the case? I do skip days I take my benzo's here and there, not often, but I do have days that I just dont take them.

·
Going to war
3,928 Posts
How is lyrica? I may try and get some from my doc as well for nerve pain lol

Is it something that needs to be taken daily? or can you just use it as needed?

What's the risks associated with it?

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
GHB I assume. One of the best substances for SA for sure. Just too risky.
I'd love to try Xyrem, though nobody would be willing to prescribe it for SA. I'm so desperate for an SA cure that I don't even care the stuff costs $2,800 a bottle.

·
Student of life
152 Posts

Lyrica is indeed very effective, I am on it myself. There is a way to work around the weight gain problem, some people get Bupropion to counter that. I get both meds myself and I am loosing weight, allthough I exercise 5-6 days per week and eating 95% healthy and measured.

The concearn with mixing two benzos is the same as mixing one benzo with any given CNS depressant. It CAN be done but with caution, as the combination could very well be lethal. Mixing two benzos could be similar as mixing one benzo and alcohol for instance. That's not a good idea. There must be other ways than mixing two CNS depressants.

Mixing lyrica with benzos give a similar effect. The lyrica would boost the benzo effect and vice versa. Under really good supervision, and if there are NO other way, then why not. Others do that. But as I said, their effects on eachother shouldn't be underestimated.

Why not try tapering from the benzo and give lyrica a try?

·
Forever Young
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lyrica is indeed very effective, I am on it myself. There is a way to work around the weight gain problem, some people get Bupropion to counter that. I get both meds myself and I am loosing weight, allthough I exercise 5-6 days per week and eating 95% healthy and measured.

The concearn with mixing two benzos is the same as mixing one benzo with any given CNS depressant. It CAN be done but with caution, as the combination could very well be lethal. Mixing two benzos could be similar as mixing one benzo and alcohol for instance. That's not a good idea. There must be other ways than mixing two CNS depressants.

Mixing lyrica with benzos give a similar effect. The lyrica would boost the benzo effect and vice versa. Under really good supervision, and if there are NO other way, then why not. Others do that. But as I said, their effects on eachother shouldn't be underestimated.

Why not try tapering from the benzo and give lyrica a try?
we'll see how it goes, but im pretty happy with the meds im currently on. and i really want to try the lyrica. like i'de take it on days that i dont take my benzo's.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I find Wellbutrin to have a very mild appetite suppressant effect, though not enough to have any weight loss effect, so I don't think it could counter the weight gain effect of Lyrica. I try to walk every day (weather permitting) and I try to watch what I eat, though it's hard not to give in to temptation. I've been in a lifelong struggle against weight even before meds.

Mixing two benzos is like taking a larger dose of any one benzo as all benzos are substantially the same. Also, benzos can safely be mixed with alcohol. I do so on an almost daily basis when I drink wine while on Xanax. Of course, I'm talking about doing so within reasonable bounds, not drinking till blackout drunk and chocking on your on vomit while your passed out. The problem comes with folks who don't understand moderation & reasonable.

I probably won't be trying Lyrica immediately. First, I have to try a higher dose of Parnate and see how that works out. If that doesn't work then it's on to Nardil most likely. If that still doesn't work then Lyrica is the most likely next option. Of course, it could be added to either MAOI, but first I need to see how the MAOIs work out on their own.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts