Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wrote down I'm a college student on break, put two courses I never took.

I'm applying into retail, and mostly just minimum wage jobs. How often do they check? I'm not worried about a few of them asking about my education. But how often do they actually check?

Also I'm 21, I can pull the student thing. I'm actually a highschool dropout.

·
Banned
438 Posts
I know a guy that hires people and he mostly checks for criminal background and drug tests. And there are places where they don't even check that because they need to shell out 50 dollars for the background check and more for the drug test each.

I lie on little things like that myself. Not too much though.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Not a good idea and just ethically wrong.

Most retail places do not require a college education anyway, so trying to impress them with a faux resume is probably pointless. They're just looking for motivated individuals willing to learn and work the required hours.

Most likely, retail companies will not check your credentials if you're just applying for a minimum wage position, but why start lying?

It might be a "LOL" matter for you (as in your title), but if I was your boss I'd fire you for lying to me LOL.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I'm all for it, stick it to the man... they are c$%^s to most everyone so why not. If they expect you to jump threw hoops while clapping like a seal then why not stick it to them in return. I always make the mistake of not biting my tongue when I quit ..it does feel good to tell a boss what you think, even if they already know. I'd love to quit and say "oh by the way my resume was 90% BS so suck it!". Oh wow just thinking it feels good! Now I want a job so I can quit to say that! xP
But yes I'll have to do the same as I've been out of work for so long. Phone ref? Maybe I can buy a second phone and if anyone rings it just put on a fake accent and say "howoh!? arrr yesh! Shannon wery good worker wery good, always on times and hard worker yesh! ok bubye mr sir".

·
Banned
768 Posts
I wrote down I'm a college student on break, put two courses I never took.

I'm applying into retail, and mostly just minimum wage jobs. How often do they check? I'm not worried about a few of them asking about my education. But how often do they actually check?

Also I'm 21, I can pull the student thing. I'm actually a highschool dropout.
You really should think twice about doing this. Even if you could care less about how unethical it is, lies have a way of eventually biting you in the ***. It also makes it that much harder for those of us who are actually telling the truth to obtain work. You may think you're beating the system or something by doing this, but believe it or not, not everyone does it.

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I just wanted to stand out from the other resumes. Also that overqualified part, I just put community college with two simple courses.

I REALLY hope they don't run criminal background checks, I would never get hired.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Well I just wanted to stand out from the other resumes. Also that overqualified part, I just put community college with two simple courses.

I REALLY hope they don't run criminal background checks, I would never get hired.
They will run a background check. Unless you lied about being a convicted felon (and since you're 21 and not in jail, I'm guessing you're not one) it won't be a dealbreaker. Unless you're a shoplifter applying for a retail job, in which case it'll hurt your odds pretty bad.

They will not check the college stuff. It's not very important and so the manager will not take the time. There is no way that a couple college courses makes you overqualified for a minimum wage job, don't even worry about that. Whatever managers end up interviewing you have probably interviewed college graduates recently as well- there are just too many people not finding work equal to their qualifications.

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They will run a background check. Unless you lied about being a convicted felon (and since you're 21 and not in jail, I'm guessing you're not one) it won't be a dealbreaker. Unless you're a shoplifter applying for a retail job, in which case it'll hurt your odds pretty bad.

They will not check the college stuff. It's not very important and so the manager will not take the time. There is no way that a couple college courses makes you overqualified for a minimum wage job, don't even worry about that. Whatever managers end up interviewing you have probably interviewed college graduates recently as well- there are just too many people not finding work equal to their qualifications.
Okay that's good. I just think it's better there is SOME education on there. Not a big blank spot under it saying "uhh some of highschool"

As for criminal background checks. I think I am okay, there shouldn't be anything coming up I think. I had a theft under $5000 charge 2 years ago, and also an outstanding warrant on me right now for missing court.

I heard only more serious crimes show up on criminal reports. But I know even the slightest crimes show up in government jobs (obviously) but I am not applying to that. Going off-topic now but I don't want to start a new thread, in Canada; would I need to take a pardon to remove those from my record?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Okay that's good. I just think it's better there is SOME education on there. Not a big blank spot under it saying "uhh some of highschool"

As for criminal background checks. I think I am okay, there shouldn't be anything coming up I think. I had a theft under $5000 charge 2 years ago, and also an outstanding warrant on me right now for missing court.

I heard only more serious crimes show up on criminal reports. But I know even the slightest crimes show up in government jobs (obviously) but I am not applying to that. Going off-topic now but I don't want to start a new thread, in Canada; would I need to take a pardon to remove those from my record?
1. I'm not sure if you are taking the mickey or what so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.
2. The only things that don't show up on criminal records are things like parking/driving infringements or very minor offenses that don't end up in court. You're way past that stage, not only did your offense go to court but you have a warrant for failing to show. I can almost guarantee that this will show up on a police check.
3. How on earth do you think you're going to get a pardon on your record given the above situation? If you were somehow innocent in the theft then failing to show at court only further implicates guilt.

I'm sorry but if you're prepared to heavily lie on your resume and you have failed to show up to court it shows that you're not the most honest or reliable employee. Even if the theft charge is under $5000, that's still a considerable black mark against your character and a retail employer would most likely not employ you. I suggest you try to get some free legal advice and sort out your warrant first.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Were you charged, or were you convicted? If you the charges were dropped, or you were found not guilty, it doesn't matter. Do you mean a warrant for your arrest? I've never actually heard anything about whether that comes up, but I'd guess that it does would assume that most legitimate employers don't hire fugitives.

·
Pobody's Nerfect
330 Posts
I'm all for it, stick it to the man... they are c$%^s to most everyone so why not. If they expect you to jump threw hoops while clapping like a seal then why not stick it to them in return. I always make the mistake of not biting my tongue when I quit ..it does feel good to tell a boss what you think, even if they already know. I'd love to quit and say "oh by the way my resume was 90% BS so suck it!". Oh wow just thinking it feels good! Now I want a job so I can quit to say that! xP
But yes I'll have to do the same as I've been out of work for so long. Phone ref? Maybe I can buy a second phone and if anyone rings it just put on a fake accent and say "howoh!? arrr yesh! Shannon wery good worker wery good, always on times and hard worker yesh! ok bubye mr sir".
Hilarious!!! Ive done all the above mentioned and used a friend to be another ref. Worked like a charm.

First off, an arrest record will show in a background check but thats okay you can lie if they ask. Say you recieved a gift for friend and you didnt know it was stolen property, so thats why you were arrested.

Next did you bond out of jail or what? Did someone pay so you can get out of jail after you were arrested? You can have bond reinstated if the person who bonded you out agrees to pay bond again and will make sure you go to court. If that can be done you can have the court date reset where you can see the judge and request a court appointed attorney since you cannot hire your own. If all goes well you can move foward with this issue. You cannot get a pardon but in most cases you can have your record expunged,meaning your public record will no longer be public to employers,apartments you apply to. If its a felony charge it will always be on your record but after seven years if asked if you been convicted of a felony,you can answer no(legally). a pardon can be achieved but you must wait a certain time,every state differs and theres no guarantee you will recieve a pardon.

now on job situation, its ok to lie but dont overdo it. Make up refs, and lie abour job history. You should be fine, no one will bother checking as long as you present yourself a comptent person. Be sure to back up job info such as duties with believable details. Be prepared to answers questions about previous jobs. Find a job that you will not absolutely hate.

Lastly try to get a ged or high school diploma for yourself not cause you have to. But lie to a potential employer that you do have a hs diploma, it will help you.its ok to say that you are in collegeg or took some courses. They wont check

You have a long road ahead of you but I know you can do it. I wish you well. Good luck!!!!

·
Top 5 Poster
6,051 Posts
One of the greatest figures who ever live, in the history of our times, maybe top 5 in terms of legend once said

If you tell big lies, tell them often enough, refuse to back down from them, people will believe you

Im paraprashing ofcourse

·
Registered
749 Posts
I am bad at lying because I always think I'm gonna get caught. But if you think you can pull it off, go for it. My guess is that they won't likely check, but you need to be able to talk about it when it comes to the interview. If they find out you're lying the worst thing they can do is not hire you. You probably would have to think about how to act around other employees once you get the job and not spill that you were lying. But if you think you can manage that, then go for it I guess.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Were you charged, or were you convicted? If you the charges were dropped, or you were found not guilty, it doesn't matter. Do you mean a warrant for your arrest? I've never actually heard anything about whether that comes up, but I'd guess that it does would assume that most legitimate employers don't hire fugitives.
Seems like I have a problem once the credit check is run. Seems like many companies won't hire you if you have bad debt -- debt that is chargedoff or in collection. I couldn't pay several credit cards that are now 'chargedoff' as bad debt on my credit report -- because of this the background check comes back as illegible for hire

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm thinking I should start to "exaggerate the truth" on my resume. Because I'm completely honest on my resume.
The first thing that came out of the last interviewer was "Wow, your resume is short" and throughout the interview he kept asking, "do you have any prior experience? Did you volunteer during uni? "That I'm going to need a reference."
I was just going to come out and tell him, "If I did have all of those things under my belt, I would have written it on there, dumbass."

1 - 18 of 18 Posts